Want to work on software that ships in multiple different Amazon devices, as well as enabling 3rd-party devices to access Amazon services? Then come work on the Amazon Common Software (ACS) team! We write highly portable software components that work on multiple embedded operating-systems, and enable key features for device makers.
A day in the life
Write new code that works on Amazon FreeRTOS and Linux. Enable internal and external device makers to leverage your software. Ensure consistently high quality of code, documentation, and associated tests. Debug an issue on an Echo device. Work with partners to understand their requirements, and create a deliver schedule for your software. All before lunch time.
About the hiring group
Join a diverse team of software engineers, spread across multiple locations, who work together to produce high quality embedded software for our customers. We are a team of 10+ engineers with multiple nationalities, each of whom bring unique perspectives and talents to each problem we solve.
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Want to help shape how connected devices get to market faster? Join the new initiative Amazon Common Software (ACS) for Devices which launched Feb '2020 (https://developer.amazon.com/acs-devices). ACS is software that makes it faster to develop devices that are transforming the smart home and run Amazon services, like Alexa. Join us.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer on the ACS team, you will be part of a team that owns critical Android framework components, services, tools, and application development frameworks - working on projects that push the boundaries of customer-device interaction.
You will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative consumer product experiences. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. You will participate in designing, prototyping, and building solutions to hard problems in the Android and Amazon ecosystem.
As part of your work, you will work closely with Amazon device software teams, product management teams, external partner developers, internal Amazon application developers, and Amazon service teams to drive development from the concept stage to the launch stage.
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
• Computer Science fundamentals experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Embedded systems experience with focus on Linux or RTOS
• Experience negotiating design and APIs with other software teams
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• A track record of seeking out and resolving system performance issues involving memory and CPU
• Experience working across multiple engineering teams to drive software design
• Excellence in technical communication with peers, partners, and non-technical cohorts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.