Senior Support Engineer -- Optimize support for large scale distributed systems across multiple groups
Interested in a rare opportunity to understand and optimize the operation support for multiple large scale distributed systems from 50+ groups in Consumer Engagement Organization? Come and join this newly established elite Engineering Excellence team to make things right, make system run faster and smarter, become support experts, raise the engineer bar, set higher standards, and train others to strive for operational excellence and efficiency!
Amazon operates the largest e-commerce platform in the world and this requires massive investments in computer infrastructure, utilizing cutting-edge software engineering practices, and around the clock support from engineering staff. Consumer Engagement Organization includes Community Shopping (Customer Reviews/Ratings, Social Identity, Lists, Gifting and Analytics), Personalization (Improves Customer Experience based on purchase behavior with Machine Learning Algorithms that run on massive amounts of distributed data) , Consumer Marketing (Targeted Advertising using Data Aggregation, Data Mining and Machine Learning based on massive amounts of distributed data) and Mobile Shopping (Deliver High Quality applications across all mobile platforms).
The Consumer Engagement Engineering Excellence (CE3) team has been setup recently with a mission to redefine the Engineering Excellence by providing visibility into health of an organization, partner with global diversified teams, improve the overall efficiency and operational excellence, reduce infrastructure costs, optimize spend by reducing cost of ownership and to reduce overall risk of running a service in production.
We're looking for a sharp and experienced support engineer who's excited about learning different technologies used in Amazon, who's always thriving to automate and improve supporting tasks.
You will be the first-tier support for various teams that operate large mission critical fleets/ services in production, work with partner teams to support, automate and improve processes. You will be working with sister teams across different geographical locations to provide 24x7 "follow the sun" model to our partner teams. You will have the opportunity to learn different technologies across different teams, come up with frameworks which could impact multiple teams, and apply the best practices from one team to other teams across entire Consumer Engagement organization.
If you are interested in making a difference, come join our team. We've been waiting for you!
- Provide software delivery operations and application release management support, including coding and scripting, automated build and deployment processing, agile deployment, and process reengineering.
- Perform script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Build automated deployments for consistent software releases with zero downtime (through build process, packaging, testing and automatic deployment)
- Deploy new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Provide monitoring dashboard and maintain critical alarms on system.
- Evaluates existing applications and platforms and provides recommendations for improving performance by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of modifications.
- Participate in the development of contingency plans including reliable backup and restore procedures.
- Demonstrate technical leadership with incident handling and troubleshooting
- Provides technical leadership, coaching and mentoring to team members.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field (MS/PhD preferred or equivalent experience)
- Minimum 4 years of software development/technical support experience
- Solid experience in one of the scripting languages such as bash, Perl, or Python
- Debugging and troubleshooting skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve customer problems
- The ability to work effectively under pressure in a dynamic environment
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with technical customers and partners in order to understand ambiguous problems and articulate technical challenges
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems involving load balancers, caching layers and real-time event processing
- Experience in building dashboards and aggregating metrics
- Experience in Amazon Web Services
- Good Object-oriented design and development skills (Java and/or C/C++ preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & standards for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top