The AWS Field Engineering organization provides engineering support for our data centers throughout their lifecycle. A critical piece of this support is ensuring the highest level of initial quality and ongoing support from our vendors. As a Supplier Quality Engineer you will interface daily with AWS Engineering teams, Procurement teams, and vendors to manage infrastructure equipment quality. Our Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for supplier qualifications, quality monitoring at supplier sites, supplier quality issue resolution and supplier development and quality improvement initiatives.
If you want to be a part of a team that has a daily impact on company success, this is a great opportunity for you.
In this role you will lead internal and external engagements with engineering, procurement, supply chain management, operations, finance, construction, and suppliers to deliver robust and resilient quality systems at our vendors and within AWS. You will identify supplier quality defects or waste in AWS processes, and drive new processes to eliminate the defects and prevent them from recurring without posing risk to availability.
In this role your responsibilities include:
Develop, implement and maintain the supplier quality roadmap across engineering and procurement teams.
Verify AWS quality standards are met at suppliers through in-person and remote audits.
Define and roll out incoming inspection/first article inspection plans
Drive supplier and product qualification and assessment processes in support of procurement teams. This includes effective resolution of any issues identified.
Monitor and report on supplier performance quality metrics and actions.
Lead supplier quality issue resolution in partnership with engineering, construction and commissioning teams.
Develop and support suppliers with quality improvement initiatives and Key Performance Indicators (KPI). Provide a feedback mechanism from suppliers to internal teams on joint quality issues.
Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
Keys to success in this role include sound judgment and excellent written/verbal communication skills.
Travel required, both international and domestic, approximately 30-50%
• Masters degree in Physics, Mathematics, Electrical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering, or a related field.
• 4+ years of industry experience in construction, project management, manufacturing, or operations support.
• 6+ years in a quality management function with direct interaction with suppliers.
• MBA or advanced degree in engineering or other quantitative disciplines
• Expert knowledge in manufacturing processes, ISO-9000, quality control plans and failure analysis or problem solving methodologies.
• Six Sigma certification.
• Lean certification.
• Highly proficient in Excel and the creation of tables, data, dashboards, reports, including advanced analysis features.
• Project Management experience.
• Experience with data center operations and infrastructure equipment.
• Ability in managing multiple qualification activities and development schedules.
• Proven experience in working with external design and manufacturing supply chain partners.
Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.