Senior Software Security Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is on the cutting edge of many security issues for a wide variety of platforms and technologies including cloud services, Internet of things (IoT), identity and access management, mobile devices, virtualization, AI and Robotics and custom hardware, all operating at massive scale. Similarly, our highly collaborative team is committed to each team member's growth as our business grows.
Amazon is looking for a Senior Application Security Engineer to help validate that our services, applications, and websites are designed and implemented to the highest security standards. You will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications and services, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and quickly reacting to new threat scenarios. You will have the opportunity to learn from, and be mentored by, those who are building and securing our cutting-edge services.
A Senior Security Engineer at Amazon is expected to be strong in multiple domains and provide significant contributions to the security team and to multiple groups throughout Amazon. Security engineers are expected to develop elegant solutions to complex business problems and apply appropriate technologies while following security engineering best practices. You are also expected to mentor more junior engineers and be a security thought leader for the organization.
A Security Engineer must foster constructive dialogue and seek resolution when confronted with discordant views. Engineers in this role are expected to participate fully in the planning of the Software Security team's work and constantly seek opportunities for process improvement. They should also have a deep understanding of at least one specialty for which they are a sought out resource (both within security and by groups throughout Amazon), while having an understanding of the application of Information Security in a broad range of technical areas.
A successful candidate will need a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills, as well as the ability to handle a mix of disparate tasks which may include project and software development work. This role will provide career growth opportunities as you gain new security skills in the course of your duties.
Application security reviews
Projects and research work as needed
Security training and outreach to internal development teams
Security guidance documentation
Security tool development
* Security metrics delivery and improvements
• BS in Computer Science or related field
• Minimum of 3 years of experience with any combination of the following: threat modeling experience, secure coding, identity management and authentication, software development, cryptography, system administration and network security.
• Intermediate knowledge and understanding of security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, or application security.
• Experience performing software security reviews and implementing security solutions at the business division level
• An understanding of network and web related protocols (such as, TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols)
• Experience with multiple programming languages such as Java, C++, Ruby, Python, Perl, etc.
• Prior experience with DAST and SAST software tools.
• Application penetration testing skills
• Background in helping development teams resolve security findings
• Risk management experience
• Familiarity with ICS protocols (modbus, MTQQ, etc)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrable teamwork skills and resourcefulness
• Possess self-drive to keep moving things forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid "analysis paralysis")
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
Back to top