Senior Software Engineer, Personalization & Discovery, Data Science, Machine Learning
- Seattle, WA
Consider the following problem: every day, millions of customers with unique interests and needs come to Amazon looking for products out of a catalog of over a billion items. On each page, we need to decide what content would be most helpful to customers - ranging from automated recommendations to manual merchandising to navigational or informational content, etc. What do we show to customers to help them make shopping decisions and help them discover more parts of Amazon's vast catalog?
In Personalization we use state-of-the-art machine learning techniques and A/B testing to answer this question by running experiments on some of Amazon's most prominent and valuable pages. We are a full stack team working on a diverse range of products, machine learning systems, real-time, low-latency recommendation and ranking systems, building algorithms for understanding customer behavior and generating recommendations content, and as well as building customer-facing UIs. As a member of the team, you will work in a collaborative environment with a team of rock star engineers, ML scientists, and designers. You will have a unique opportunity to drive direct, measurable impact to our customers, powering features on the website generating billions of dollars of revenue each year.
About our team:
Our team has the autonomy to decide where we can have the most impact and get down to experimenting. We love metrics and the fast pace. We analyze data to uncover potential opportunities, generate hypotheses, and test them. Think of us as a SWAT team that swoops in and gets things done to improve the customer experience and increase engagement. We refuse to accept constraints, internal or external, and have a strong bias for action. We imagine, build prototypes, validate ideas, and launch follow-up experiments from the successful ones.
You are a software engineer with an interest in machine learning, data science, search, or recommendation systems. You have great problem solving skills. You love keeping abreast of the latest technology and use it to help you innovate. You have strong leadership qualities, great judgment, clear communication skills, and a track record of delivering great products.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Strong CS fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C, C++, C#
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• 6+ years of professional software development experience
• Deep hands-on technical expertise, excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or a related field
• Experience with commercial machine learning systems and/or recommender systems
• Experience with distributed computing and highly scalable systems, including tools such as EMR/Hadoop
• Highly motivated self-starter with bias for innovative thinking
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top