Senior Software Engineer (Architect)
- Cambridge, United Kingdom
Amazon has come a long way since opening on the World Wide Web in July 1995. Today, we operate retail websites in multiple countries across geographies, offering products in many categories (books, media, digital, electronics etc.) worldwide, and we still like to work hard, have fun and make history! The Amazon.com brand has become synonymous with a superior level of convenience, selection, low prices, and customer service.
Amazon's global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering's primary focus. We have built a world class Software engineering team which is focused on solving some of the complex problems in worldwide Transportation using workflows, optimization algorithms, machine learning systems etc. These are large scale distributed systems handling millions of packages being shipped through our network.
At Amazon Shipping Foundation Technologies (ASFT), we are looking for Sr Software Development Engineers with solid Software engineering fundamentals involving solving complex problems. They will get to work on some of the key initiatives planned to support our rapid evolution and growth of the transportation network and in the process solve some of the most challenging problems. This role requires deep technical expertise, excellent leadership skills, and ability to hit the ground running. You will be responsible for solving algorithmically complex problems, front end and backend services that can scale to millions of requests and deployed globally delivering an exceptional customer experience. As innovators we embrace new technology, you will be empowered to choose the right highly scalable and available technology to solve complex problems.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• B.Tech in Computer Science or a related field.
- 7+ years overall technical/product development experience.
- Strong object oriented development knowledge in Java or any other prominent language
- Strong hold to define technical roadmap and design systems for future which solves for scale and high throughput
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
- Demonstrates skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Great Documentation skills to lead technical discussion
- Ability to disambiguate tech landscape to make technology an enabler to business.
• Knowledge in relational databases and distributed computing technologies.
• AWS technologies exposure
• Mentoring experience to grow SDEs job family
Back to top