Senior Software Engineer
Do you want to shape the future of virtualized (SDN) networking in the world's biggest public cloud?
The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) VPC Packet Pipeline team owns the packet pipeline that runs right beneath all our customer's EC2 VPC instances, adding features like firewalling (security groups), billing and monitoring as we touch every single packet on every single host across our massive worldwide fleet. Our vision is to combine the performance of bare metal networking while maintaining all the benefits of the cloud, including delivering features not possible on bare metal i.e. true Software Defined Networking (SDN).
We are growing fast, and are looking for kernel/embedded C leaders who can deliver ultra high performance - our goal is to be processing millions of packets per second on a CPU core. This requires both being able to implement highly optimized data structures, but also low level (including by hand assembly and vectorizing) tuning to our hardware. If you have good experience in C/C++, and a passion for systems software engineering such as kernel or embedded development, then this is a unique opportunity to join us at day one of building the platform which is the basis for all new EC2 VPC features in the years to come.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Being the lead engineer on a small team, mentoring junior engineers, ensuring the right development practices are followed.
- Be very hands-on; work with the engineering team to manage the day-to-day development activities by leading architecture decisions, participating in designs, design review, code review, and implementation.
- Maintain current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always on a look out for new technologies and work with management and development team in bringing new technologies.
- Communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
- 7+ years industry experience as a Software Developer
- 1+ years experience in leading a team in terms of architecture, mentoring and pushing best software development practices
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience developing in C or C++
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
- Linux operating system knowledge + development experience
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP
- Kernel or embedded development, particularly Linux kernel
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Scripting (Ruby/Python)
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top