What do we do here? Amazon Web Services (AWS) runs one of the largest networks in the world. We are changing the way Networks are conceived, designed, built and operated, by adopting the principles of Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Intent Based Networking (IBN). We derive our network topologies from higher level designs and intents, and a distributed software system controls the way we manage our network. We put services and algorithms in place to control and manage all layers of the Amazon network, from top of the rack switches in our datacenters (TORs) to our internet and private backbone facing routers. In this senior software dev engineer position, you will be designing, building and owning highly distributed, large scale web services that form a core part of our SDN software ecosystem. You will work with a team of talented developers, principal engineers to build the next generation services in our space.
Why software services for building the network? At Amazon, we are always customer obsessed. By creating an intent-based, scalable network, we respond quickly and safely to network changes like scaling, maintenance, failure, security and other types of events. This also lowers the cost and overhead for customers, while driving up performance, availability and reliability.
Why now? We want to expand scope of our IBN and configuration backend systems to store and vend operational intent, there by facilitating anomaly detection. We also would expand our description languages, parsers and workflow engines to go beyond the mostly static configuration elements and cover dynamic and operational elements. To achieve this we need to expand our current team focusing on IBN related areas. We are looking for talented software engineers who want to get hands on experience with fully automated hyper scale data center networks, cloud infrastructure, large-scale software deployments, algorithms, distributed systems, lambda-based and service oriented architectures.
How do we operate in our team? We empower our engineers to take ownership of their realm and make a difference. They start by gathering requirements, diving deep to choose technologies, designing features and spinning new services, coding and reviewing, deploying software across the globe and maintaining services. In AWS, we are nimble and agile, like being part of a startup, innovating while collaborating with a smart group of people around you. We are thrilled about how software is changing the landscape of networking. We operate on an unimaginable scale. We push the boundaries in robustness, fault-tolerance and smart adaptive algorithms that can react intelligently to real-world events. Software engineers on our team contribute to every phase of the development process and deploy scalable software systems worldwide.
What will you be doing here?
• Designing and developing software services for network configuration, verification and management.
• Work with management, customers and other engineering teams to develop state of the art solutions, incorporating new technologies, algorithms and innovations.
• Work with dev team to drive implementation of your designs into production quality software that meets our definition of done
• Build technical roadmap of your services
• Partner with Principal Engineers to evolve our software services space
• Hire and develop the best by mentoring other engineers and participating in interviews
Who are we looking for? Smart, talented engineers with solid, production quality, large scale software services experience. You don't need to have networking background to be successful in this position. Have more questions? Talk to us! We'll be happy to setup an info call to give you more context and details about the job.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 5+ years professional experience in software development using Java, or C#
• Experience with distributed computing, enterprise-wide systems i.e. Service Oriented Architecture
• Experience with building high performing, distributed, scalable, high quality software services, microservices
• Experience with developing and operationalizing micro-services
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Experience with Services, microservices, AWS Lambda, Dynamo DB
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.