Senior Software Engineer
IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. The IMDb consumer site (www.imdb.com) is the #1 movie website in the world with a combined web and mobile audience of more than 250 million unique monthly visitors. IMDb offers a searchable database of more than 185 million data items including more than 3.5 million movies, TV and entertainment programs and more than 7 million cast and crew members.
At IMDb, you'll be joining a team of seasoned leaders who value execution and decision making at the speed of startups, but with the backing and resources of Amazon. You can expect a culture of ambitious but achievable technology development, built in short iterations with lots of experimentation. We set high standards for ourselves but believe no work day is complete without lots of laughter. We celebrate team and personal milestones, and value balanced lifestyles that enable us to be refreshed and productive each day. Best of all, we share a passion for Entertainment; we meet regularly with our founder and colleagues to discuss current films, shows, and events.
IMDb sits at the intersection of the entertainment, media, and technology markets inside the world's most innovative and consumer-centric company – Amazon.com. IMDb employees enjoy the benefits of working for Amazon with the autonomy of working on a small, nimble team.
You're looking for a career where you'll be able to influence, to build, to deliver, and to impress. You look at problems holistically, and thrive on the intricate complexity of designing feedback loops and ecosystems. You want to work on projects where you are implementing solutions to real problems that require creative solutions, deep understanding of the problem space, and leading multiple cross-functional teams. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better solutions. This highly visible role requires frequent communication with senior leadership in order to help shape and deliver on the product roadmap, and requires you to nimbly switch between strategic and tactical initiatives to achieve technical, business, and customer experience goals. You'll be given an opportunity to own and drive initiatives through the entire software stack -- from customer facing features and data innovations to cross-team collaboration on advertising platform services.
You will be a senior lead in the development of features that drive revenue to the #1 entertainment site in the world. You will work with a variety of technologies across Amazon to innovate on features that delight customers and advertisers alike. You must love hard problems, collaborating with stakeholder teams, defining roadmaps, design creative technical solutions, and mentoring more junior engineers.
Some problem spaces we are working on:
- TARGETING - we have a wealth of data about our customers, including what movies or actors they've viewed, what titles they have added to their Watchlists, what they've recently browsed or purchased. This data can be used to help us decide what else they are likely to be interested in and respond to. Accessing this data and making decisions across large numbers of potential responses in a matter of milliseconds is a tough problem, and requires complex high scale engineering both online and offline. You will be working with other driven engineers to deliver our features and solutions. This will require core engineering and programming skills, insight, technical capability, data driven decision making, creativity and an obsession to ship high quality solutions for our customers.
- DATA & ANALYTICS - there's an almost overwhelming amount of data available, and we need to determine which signals are likely to have impact on our clients and how best to retain client interest in our business through data offerings. We're building platforms to automate the generation, validation, and publishing of models that incorporate all available data to predict any measurable signal. You will be working in the designing, building and finally shipping these products together with partners, product management, and other engineers.
- OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE – our development solutions have large implications to our downstream ad operational partners, and we directly influence how easy or difficult campaign executions as well as how likely clients want to work with us. You will establish deep understanding of our client and business partner use cases, establish solutions for customer-facing functionalities, ensure prioritization and ultimately build these tools. Shipping a high quality toolset always requires being data driven and having strong engineering skills. You need to be obsessed with ensuring the best end to end experience for our customers and internal partners.
8+ years industry experience in designing software architecture, leading software development groups, and operating scalable software systems
- Requirement analysis, failure analysis, API design, distributed consistency
- Metrics, analysis, and software profiling
- Strong object-oriented design skills with understanding of common design paradigms
- Solid experience in Java
- Ability to collaborate with multiple external dependent teams to design complex solutions and drive delivery
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- Obsession with quality and customer experience
- Attention to details coupled with ability to think abstractly
- Experience innovating software solutions with new technology
- Prior leadership experience, mentoring and guiding junior team members through design review and code review
- Solid UNIX or Linux experience
- Good understanding of distributed systems
- Experience developing unit and system level tests using dependency injection frameworks and object mocking
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Oral and written communication skills (ability to produce runbooks, technical, and non-technical documentation)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
Here are some things that we'd prefer to see, though none is independently a requirement:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Math or Physics or related field
- Experience in the advertising, algorithmic search, or bioinformatics industries
- Delivered a low-latency, consumer-internet-scale web services operating in a 24x7 environment
- Delivered ad targeting and serving infrastructure
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top