Senior Software Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Are you excited at the prospect of keeping millions of customers' data safe? Do you want to help secure web services by implementing cryptography at scale? Security is the #1 concern of customers moving to the cloud and the AWS Cryptography team is dedicated to providing the security features our customers need. We enable customers to confidently move sensitive workloads to the cloud where they can benefit from strong security controls that help meet internal and external compliance requirements. AWS Key Management Service and AWS CloudHSM provide encryption and key management services, while AWS Certificate Manager handles the complexity of provisioning, deploying, and managing certificates.
AWS Cryptography services are early-stage but with very strong customer demand. We are looking for an experienced software developer with an interest in practical cryptography to join us in building the most secure services in AWS. Our systems protect customer keys and accelerate use of cryptography in all AWS services.
You should have experience designing scalable, customer-centric systems and a passion for simple and elegant software solutions. Along with senior leaders, principal engineers, and security specialists you will discover and solve the new interesting challenges of growing and operating a globally distributed cryptographic security service.
Your responsibilities include:
- building a massively scalable digital security system that is core to all AWS services.
- owning the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, implementing, and testing new features for AWS Cryptography.
- operating an AWS business with globally distributed servers and customers.
- working as part of a team to develop solutions for our customers.
- owning one of the most secure and reliable services in all of AWS.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey technical information to a wide variety of audiences
• Experience collaborating with other developers to deliver complex projects
• Strong and creative problem solving abilities
• Experience with cryptography and computer security
• Post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
• Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to take a project from scoping requirements through launch
• Distributed systems experience
• Experience with large scale systems
• Experience with Hardware Security Modules, Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs), or other cryptographic hardware
• MS or Ph.D. in in Computer Science. Mathematics, Engineering or related field.
• In-depth knowledge of open source cryptographic software, e.g., OpenSSL, Libgcrypt.
• Proven experience in deploying large-scale cryptographic systems.
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Track record of successfully delivering high quality projects on time in a fast-paced/rapidly changing environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top