Senior Software Development Manager - Aurora PostgreSQL
- Redmond, WA
If you're a software engineering leader who is looking to lead a team changing the rules for relational databases, we have one of the most senior teams in AWS - and our senior engineers are eager to brainstorm, mentor, and get software built together. We build software, we patent new things, and we attend conferences around the world to learn even more.
Amazon is breaking new ground and changing the rules for relational Databases. The PostgreSQL-compatible edition of Amazon Aurora is helping customers have enterprise performance, availability and durability, along with compatibility with the world's most advanced open source database - PostgreSQL.
Amazon Aurora is an exciting new area of innovation for AWS, and the PostgreSQL-compatible edition of Amazon Aurora is the newest part of it, built on one of the cleanest code bases in the open source community. The PostgreSQL-compatible version of Amazon Aurora is a new relational database which offers enterprise-class performance, availability and durability - all at open source prices - to our customers, along with the management benefits of RDS. We're a relatively new team in Database Services, one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon Web Services. We are currently located across Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Sydney, and Dublin. Not only do we have deep database and systems programming problems to solve for our customers, but we also minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, database internals, caching, query optimization, languages, and performance engineering. We intend to be the world's best and fastest database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
What is in it for you?
• Huge impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
• Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
• Critical: Databases are cornerstones to many of our customers' applications.
• Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
• Learn: If want to learn about challenges of large-scale fault tolerant systems in practice this is an opportunity of a life time.
• Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
• Make history: AWS is the leader in a current industry wide revolution.
• Have fun: Surround yourself with engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also work in a fun environment.
For more information about Aurora, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora.
For more information about RDS for PostgreSQL, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• BS Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 10 years of software development experience, with at least 2+ years' experience managing managers
• 5+ years' experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• 7+ years' experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, C#
• 7+ years' experience leading teams designing and delivering systems level software.
• Background developing database internals, distributed storage or distributed file systems preferred
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• An advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top