Senior Software Development Engineer, Telemetry Engineering
- New York, NY
The Amazon Operations Technology (Ops Tech) System Engineering team is building a new end to end telemetry system that will collect and aggregate metrics from hundreds of thousands of devices such as scanners and thin clients. The devices are used in Amazon Fulfillment Centers, Middle and Last Mile facilities such as the smallest last-mile delivery stations in emerging markets to one million plus square foot robotic facilities in North America, Japan, and Europe. These devices are relied upon by hundreds of thousands of associates at thousands of locations and are critical to the delivery of shipments to Amazon retail customers.
We are looking for talented Software Development Engineers to join this team. The product will comprise of agents that run on each type of device that report on the overall performance of the device and application. The data is aggregated and an end user portal will allow deep dives to provide insights where improvements are needed. This platform will monitor for issues, self-repair when possible, and alert when there are problems. It will provide granular visibility into the health of our devices and networks, globally. The goal is to proactively fix issues before they impact production or a customer has to tell us that there is something wrong.
You should be excited about learning every day and delighting customers by solving problems that impact order fulfillment. You are passionate about software quality, repeatability, testability and maintainability. When you need clarity, you go to the product customers, perhaps a user, and talk to them until you get it right. You understand the challenges associated with operating a large-scale system in production, and your designs and implementations reflect that understanding.
When you're wrong, you're happy to learn something. You build software quickly, but properly so that you don't have to go back to it later. You know what "unit tests" are and don't implement software without them. Shipping on time with high quality makes your heart feel warm. You think CD (Continuous Delivery) isn't something you will worry about later.
Our mission is to design systems and platforms that set the global standard for performance, availability, security, and cost, enabling Fulfillment and Logistic operations to deliver customer orders on time, every time.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 6+ years professional experience in software development
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures & algorithms, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, C#, etc.
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top