Do you enjoy your favorite websites, movie streaming services and mobile app working all the time without you ever worrying about how the underlying systems that serve you the content do that quickly and reliably, seem to magically work without exhibiting capacity limits, are resilient to hardware failures, and survive even state-wide natural disasters? If the answer is yes, and the question spikes your interest, then read on.
We run Amazon Route 53, a highly available and scalable cloud Domain Name System (DNS) service. Our day to day work is to design, develop, deploy and operate software that manages customer DNS data. Due to the critical nature of DNS, we try to make our software highly available and scalable and efficient, which essentially requires developing complex distributed systems. As a result, members of our team are either experts in building robust distributed systems or are becoming experts.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We are a good mix of new and experienced engineers, creating the perfect environment for you to both mentor and be mentored. You will have a dedicated mentor to help you get started and we all enjoy helping each other grow through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We take code reviews seriously. We believe that good code reviews raise our code quality, grow our technical acumen, and provide opportunities to support and share knowledge with each other.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a more well-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future. You will also review your work with your manager every quarter to understand where you are in terms of career growth.
Our team is family-oriented and values work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 5pm.
This position involves on-call responsibilities. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are well built, well tested and fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, and reliable; someone who will help us build on the positive team culture we've been cultivating.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field; or at least 5 years equivalent work experience
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience
• Experience implementing servers in a Linux environment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.