Senior Software Development Engineer, RDS PostgreSQL
- Palo Alto, CA
Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL runs the largest fleet of PostgreSQL databases in the world. We built software, we patent new things, and we attend conferences around the world to learn even more. PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database out there, and we're proud to contribute to its success. By combining the open-source power and popularity of PostgreSQL with Amazon Web Services, for both our database engines, we think we have a winning combination for both startups and enterprises who are moving all their most important data and applications to the cloud. Check out the awesomeness of PostgreSQL at https://www.postgresql.org/. We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, database internals, caching, query optimization, languages, and performance engineering. We intend to be the world's best managed database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
For more information about Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/.
A successful applicant must possess excellent software development skills, good testing aptitude, working knowledge of relational databases and distributed systems. Ability to learn new skills and concepts rapidly and work independently is essential. Candidates need to have a strong sense of ownership, passion to provide great customer experience and excellent troubleshooting skills even when in high-pressure situations.
What is in it for you?
• Huge impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
• Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
• Critical: Databases are cornerstones to many of our customers' applications.
• Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
• Learn: If want to learn about challenges of large-scale fault tolerant systems in practice this is an opportunity of a life time.
• Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
• Make history: AWS is the leader in a current industry wide revolution.
• Have fun: Surround yourself with engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also work in a fun environment
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience building and operating large-scale online services and fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Experience with PostgreSQL or other relational/non-relational databases
• Operating System internals like Linux/Unix experience
• Low level performance and tuning
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating
• Strong mentoring and technical leadership skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top