Senior Software Development Engineer - Personalization
- Vancouver, Canada
Take Earth's most customer-centric company. Mix in hundreds of millions of shoppers spending tens of billions of dollars annually, an exciting opportunity to build next-generation shopping experiences, Amazon's tremendous computational resources, and our extensive e-Commerce experience. What do you get? The most exciting Recommendations/Personalization position in the industry.
Are you passionate about working on disruptive ideas? Are you obsessed with finding and building the most innovative and customer-friendly user experiences? Have you built and launched new experiences that impact shoppers all around the world? This is a unique opportunity that combines the ability to build exciting, new user experiences for Amazon's customers, with the opportunity to work with Big Data, Machine Learning, and other advanced techniques to provide the best personalized experience for hundreds of millions of Amazon's customers.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and deploying large-scale data mining solutions, distributed machine learning systems, and/or modern client experiences across webpages, mobile applications, and other shopping mediums. You will collaborate closely with teams of software engineers, applied machine learning scientists, product managers, user interface designers, and others in order to influence our overall strategy, and define the team's roadmap. You will also drive the system architecture, spearhead best practices, and help coach & develop junior engineers.
A successful candidate will have an established background in engineering large scale software systems, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
About our organization:
Amazon's Personalization organization is a small, high-performing group that leverages Amazon's expertise in machine learning, big data, and distributed systems to deliver the best shopping experiences for our customers. We work full stack, from foundational backend systems to future-forward user interfaces. Our team's culture is centered on rapid prototyping, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making. We run hundreds of experiments each year and our work has revolutionized e-commerce with features such as "Customers Who Bought Also Bought" and "Recommended for You". We care deeply about our customers, as well as the well-being and growth of our team members. Amazon's internal surveys regularly recognize us as one of the best engineering organizations to work for in the company, with visible high-impact work, low operational load, respectful work-life balance, and continual opportunity to learn and grow. This is a track record we are proud of and will continue to uphold. We are looking for creative and innovative leaders with a similar penchant for deeply-technical problem solving and the ability to lead, mentor, and deliver while upholding Amazon's leadership principles.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• Experience with big data, cloud computing, or large scale distributed systems for commercial online services
• Experience with AWS
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
• An ability to decompose and solve ambiguous problems through proven design skills and sharp analytical abilities.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment, driving operational excellence and best practices across the team.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience with the Scrum methodology (or similar alternatives) for agile software development.
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in cloud-based distributed software design and development, especially utilizing AWS services.
• Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance.
• Knowledge of machine learning approaches and algorithms, and experience building complex highly-scalable systems that involve predictive models or applications of machine learning.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top