Senior Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
We are open to this role sitting in Seattle or Boulder!
Are you interested in building a green field Ad Server for Amazon Display Advertising. Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on millions of customers every day? We are building the next generation of
the Display Ad server that powers Amazon Advertising. If you are a self-starter, enjoy designing large scale distributed and orchestration systems, and are intrigued by ambiguous problems, look no further.
Amazon.com's Display Advertising team builds and manages systems with extreme high performance and availability. We serve and respond to hundreds of billions of requests annually, and have ambitions to grow that number several orders of magnitude, while maintaining response latencies in the milliseconds and meeting strict SLA requirements. We delight in data, and are constantly trying to enrich our models and make more informed decisions using every bit and byte we have. Our current systems serve our current needs, but we are growing a new business within Amazon.com, and are looking for the sort of hands on leaders and developers who can design and build the systems that will take us into the future.
We are looking for SDE who is excited about building an industry leading, next generation Ad Server. In this role you will be responsible for the architecture, design and implementation of highly scalable distributed systems that provide availability, scalability and latency guarantees. In addition you will be expected raise the standards of the organization by mentoring junior engineers, interviewing and up leveling the coding standards. This is a highly visible program across multiple organizations where you will have the opportunity to have a huge impact.
The right candidate will possess strong technical skills, demonstrated experience leading medium to large distributed services, and will want to have a lasting impact in the Advertising space. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
You must be able to communicate up, down, and out to technical and business leaders. You must be able to successfully drive, architect and build the cloud service based on the vision, anticipate bottlenecks, and balance the business needs against technical constraints. You must be able to take large, complex problems and break them down into manageable micro services, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner. Being a self starter, showing maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help shape our Advertising technologies, products and business. A successful candidate will bring broad technical and deep software expertise and an ability to technically lead a team in a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to own and operate systems with a significant business impact.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 5+ years professional experience in software development
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
• Masters degree in Computer Science, Math or Physics or related field
• Experience with building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• A willingness to dive deep, experiment rapidly and get things done.
• Experience in the advertising or search industries
• Experience implementing servers using Java or C++ in a Linux/Unix environment
• Deep hands-on technical expertise, excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
• Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top