Senior Software Development Engineer - Edinburgh, UK
- Sunnyvale, CA
We're growing fast, and it's a great time to join and make a big impact. We're looking for a senior software engineer to help us design, build and deliver a high-throughput low-latency REST API for our Advertising Suite. This is a unique opportunity to join an AdTech program in its early stages, shape the underlying technology and deliver a large impact for Amazon's Advertising business.
Sizmek Ad Suite API is a new team to allow external clients, partners and agencies as well as internal Amazon customers to interact programmatically with Sizmek Ad Suite (SAS) using REST API. We believe that all operations offered through our SAS user interface (UI) must also be available through an API interface. We are responsible for defining, managing and monitoring our API web service infrastructure on AWS. We own end to end API delivery including versioning, documentation, authentication, capacity provisioning as well as SLA enforcement. We also ensure that our API adhere to industry standards, protocols and specifications.
In this role, you will join Sizmek by Amazon, an engineering team at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland. As a senior engineer working at Amazon, you will play a key role in technically leading teams in building software products and features from the ground up. You will lead the technical architecture of your team but also use your experience and skills to influence other adjacent teams/organizations. You will use a wide range of technologies, programming languages and systems and your responsibilities will include all aspects of software development. You will have the freedom and encouragement to explore your own ideas and the reward of seeing your contributions benefit our customers worldwide.
We are seeking engineers who want to be inventors not order-takers, people who care about customers and come up with ideas to better serve them. We particularly appreciate engineers with experience of DevOps, running what they build, paying attention to the operational excellence of our systems, and continually driving improvements. We care more about skills and experience than your knowledge of any particular technology. We value experience with high-scale, low latency distributed systems.
You'll also have opportunities to travel to our other product and engineering offices in Herzliya (on Israel's Mediterranean coast), and Krakow (Poland). If you want to invent the future for how advertisers connect with customers, and be a crucial part of the success of Sizmek by Amazon then this is the place for you.
• Computer Science Honours degree (2:1 or better) or related technical degree. In lieu of degree, relevant skills and equivalent experience.
• Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals including algorithm design, problem solving, data structures, performance optimization and concurrency.
• Experience of technically leading at least 1-2 software engineering teams through the full SDLC in an Agile environment.
• Experience taking a leading role in designing, building and implementing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers, including understanding of OS fundamentals, cloud computing, and large-scale and high-availability distributed architectures.
• Experience in leading brainstorm and design sessions.
• Experience leading and influencing software engineering best practices within your team including coding standards, code & design reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
• Experience mentoring software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective software engineers.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
• Experience using AWS infrastructure such as API Gateway, Lambda, CloudFront, Route53, SQS, S3 etc.
• Experience with building publicly-facing well documented and versioned APIs.
• Experience with NoSQL databases, such as Couchbase, HBase, Scylla.
• Experience with various messaging systems, such as SQS, Kinesis, Kafka or RabbitMQ.
• Experience with monitoring, logging and debugging tools such as jProfiler, Kibana, AWS CloudWatch, New Relic, etc.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on objective criteria including your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all sections of society irrespective of colour, race, religion or belief, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, sex, marital status, disability, age or trade union membership. Please let us know if you have any special requirements in relation to this recruitment process.
Back to top