Senior Software Development Engineer - Data and Machine Learning Platform
A9's Data and Machine Learning Platform team develops large-scale distributed systems, infrastructure, and applications to process the richest and largest product search data in the world. Our data and systems provide business insight for Amazon's retail business, power behavioral feedback for improved relevance of search results, and analysis of A/B experimentation. Search and search related teams use our data to power live-site features including search relevance, search suggestions, query understanding, spelling, search result ranking, and personalization. We are located in downtown Palo Alto, a short walk from numerous shops and restaurants, and right across from theCaltrain station.
As a senior engineer on the Data and Machine Learning Platform team, you will:
- Design, develop, and implement large-scale distributed systems that extract search actions from a clickstream of billions of events. You will focus on scalability, latency, fault-tolerance, and cost efficiency in every system built.
- Create datasets, tools, and services that allow data scientists, Machine Learning experts, and engineers to perform new analyses and create new systems.
- Build highly distributed analytics systems that run on huge compute clusters in the Amazon cloud.
- Own full life-cycle projects - requirements definition to launching in production.
- Own multiple systems across the data and ML platform, and work with engineers, program managers, and engineering leaders to identify opportunities for business impact.
- Participate in setting a vision and objectives for the team in alignment with business and market needs.
Why you will love this job:
- Work on a platform that spans Spark, EMR, Presto, Redshift,DynamoDB, and other modern AWS services using programming languages such as Java and Python.
- Grow your career by being a key contributor on systems that collect and process billions of records per day.
- Be a part of providing critical insights to the largest e-commerce search engine in the world, and drive changes that contribute to improved data based decision making.
- Operate at the cutting-edge of many fast-moving technologies, including cloud computing, big data, search, and analytics at Amazon scale.
- Work alongside experts in search, machine learning, data analysis, and software engineering.
- Exposure to a wide range of Amazon businesses, including core retail, Prime, marketplace, digital content, Amazon devices, and exciting unreleased products and initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- At least 7 years of object oriented programming experience in Java or C++.
- At least 5 years of experience in distributed systems design andalgorithms
- At least 4 years of experience in Python or Ruby, and SQL.
- Large scale distributed systems experience, including scalability and fault tolerance.
- Prior experience with data analysis, warehousing and processingsoftware (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Impala, and similar).
- Experience with AWS services like EMR, Redshift, Athena, RDS, and EC2.
- Startup or other entrepreneurial experience
- A continuous drive to explore, improve, enhance, automate and optimize distributed systems and tools.
- Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- Exposure to information retrieval, statistics or machine learning.
- Graduate degree in computer science or related field (MS or PhD)
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top