Come join our growing org in Nashville, TN!
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on Earth. Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates the software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers, which move billions of units of inventory and ensures customers get what they want when promised. Within AFT, we are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages using state of the art software and hardware technologies, while keeping our associates and partners safe. We leverage the latest AWS technologies, big data approaches, and ML to build distributed, highly available systems. We get to work across a diverse set of organizations and stakeholders to achieve our goals.
A fulfillment center can appear to be a chaotic place. With millions of items moving in and out of an area twice as large as your average theme park every day, a quick peek under the roof would reveal a manic scene. You would see associates, machinery, vehicles, robots, and packages flying about at break-neck speeds and accessing a breathtaking number of shelves and bins that store products. In reality, however, this activity is all highly organized and orchestrated by software, with each movement carefully planned and optimized. However, there are times when mistakes occur: products may disappear, reappear in strange places, become damaged, or worse. When that happens, how does a fulfillment center operating at that size, speed, and scale recover gracefully and with minimal cost? How do we ensure that we meet our commitments to our customers and merchants? How do we deliver a consistent experience for customers and merchants in every market in which they participate? How do we find a needle in a haystack when we're constantly shuffling the haystack around? And how do we do it at extreme scale in an environment of constant growth? That's where we come in, the AFT Defect Free Fulfillment Technology Team.
Our goal is to prevent entropy in a system in which there are billions of transactions driven by human and robotic input across hundreds of millions of items every year. We must ensure that the virtual and physical state of the world is aligned inside hundreds of Amazon's fulfillment centers globally. When our job is done well, supplier defects never enter the system, associate errors are corrected quickly, and products are always ready to sell and ship.
We are looking for an experienced Sr SDE who loves listening to our customers, working as a team, and proactively taking the lead whenever necessary. Our mission is to innovate and build scalable and robust software solutions that deliver a great customer experience.
What you'll do?
• Lead us in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful internet-scale systems and services in support of our fulfillment operations and the businesses they support.
• Participate in the definition of secure, scalable, and low-latency services and efficient physical processes.
• Work with cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Understand system interdependencies and limitations.
• Share knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Background in distributed computing, service-oriented architectures and enterprise-wide systems.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers.
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
• Full stack experience ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.