At Athena we are on a mission to provide the best serverless analytics tool for loosely coupled data lakes that "just works". We want to make it the simplest and fastest way for customers to analyze the vast volume of unstructured and semi-structured data in their S3 data lakes, as well the data in their purpose-built data stores in AWS, on-premises, and on other clouds (if desired) via federated queries. Athena enables customers to query their data in place, in open formats with the massive scalability that customers need and expect. Athena offers features that had been historically missing from data lakes engines such as query optimization, managed storage, query acceleration, caching, materialized views, transactions, and write operations such as insert/update/delete.
AWS Athena is seeking talented and experienced software engineers for our Capacity Management Engineering team. In this role, you will work on solving cutting-edge large-scale distributed computing problems in Athena's control plane. You will play a significant role in ensuring the success and profitability of Athena by defining and delivering solutions that proactively manages Athena's compute capacity. As part of the Athena Capacity Management team, you will work directly with one of the world's largest data intensive distributed computing solutions, building software that anticipates and adapts to varying compute needs.
We value highly technical, hands-on, data driven leaders who know their subject matters deeply, are willing to learn new areas, and are hardwired towards engineering excellence. We look for individuals who will set aside meaningful time to develop themselves as we continually learn from customers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in development of distributed/scalable systems, scalability and performance consideration, and high-volume transaction applications - database systems a huge plus!
- Possess an extremely sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases
- Experience taking projects from scoping requirements through V1 launch and V2 iterations
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with serverless, big data, ETL technologies at scale
- Experience with SQL and No SQL data stores
- Proficiency with Presto, Cassandra, BigQuery, Keras, Apache Spark, Apache Impala, Apache Pig or Apache Kudu
- Experience in production-scale software development
- A willingness to dive deep, experiment rapidly and get things done
- Good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment