Senior Software Development Engineer (Big Data and Machine Learning)
Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The Sponsored Products Ad Marketplace team optimizes the systems and ad placements to match demand with supply using a combination of machine learning, big data analytics, ultra-low latency high-volume engineering systems, and quantitative product focus. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for Advertisers to meet their business objectives and continue to build a big, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers.
As ads become a core part of the shopping experience on Amazon, we're investing heavily in making sure we're showing the best ads. At the heart of the ad selection process are machine-learned predictive models. We use them to predict what ads will be clicked, what clicks will lead to sales and how these will have second-order effects on other customer interaction on the site. We have world class research teams that are continually working to improve these predictive models.
Amazon Sponsored Products is working on building application services using machine learning models and multi-objective optimization to figure out what ads will work best for our advertisers, shoppers and publishers, as well as building a scalable, robust and extensible machine learning platform to enable the research teams to experiment with new ideas quickly, and reduce the time between experimentation and production. We work closely with researchers on cutting edge technologies.
Come join us! In this role, you will design, implement, test, document and deliver scale and extensible platforms and tools using Object Oriented programming, distributed programming, Java and more. You will gather and analyze business and functional requirements, and translate requirements into technical specifications for robust, scalable, supportable solutions. You will involve in the full development cycle, end-to-end, from conception, design, implementation and testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance. As the ideal candidate, you have excellent problem-solving skills, and a customer-focused mindset. You take pragmatic and iterative approach to building software: you have an ability to simplify and get things done with a demonstrated track record of building and delivering software and working effectively with external and internal teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and big data
- Experience writing unit and system level tests using dependency injection frameworks and object mocking
- Object-oriented design skills with understanding of common design paradigms
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of software development or relevant applied research experience
- Coding skills (Java or C/C++ preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Ability to own all stages of development process: requirements, design, implementation, testing, and operational support
- Excellent interpersonal communication with strong verbal / written English skills
- Advanced Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree MS/PhD (or related technical discipline)
- Familiar with machine learning, data mining, statistical data analysis, or auction theory
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top