The vehicle routing team is at the heart of our growing logistics network at Amazon. We're challenged to constantly improve and innovate on our vehicle routing software and tools to better support fast delivery to customers. We are looking for a Software Development Engineer with exceptional technical skills and a passion for delivering great software to join our team. We have among the most complex vehicle routing problems in the industry, including large, capacitive, commingled, and time windowed routing problems. We dispatch thousands of drivers a day to carry millions of packages to our customers.
Parcel delivery strategies have objectives that can often compete with one another. Most notably, ideal on-road and in-station processes may be incompatible; moreover, optimizing for the "happy path" leads to operational realities that are not resilient to failure (which are common during peak delivery times). In this role, you will create globally optimal route plans amidst these opposing forces and make them consumable by non-technical users. Vehicle routing touches sortation, containerization, picking, and dispatch. You will work at the intersection of these to build a plan that is efficient, fair, and executable. You will learn about optimization, routing algorithms, and building tools for non-technical operators to be successful each and every day around the globe. You will work with research scientists, senior engineers and product managers in a fast paced and growing environment.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Proven experience establishing metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence.
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Ability to tackle big, challenging problems and resolve ambiguity in the customer's favor.
- Experience defining system architectures and designs, exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs, and making data-driven decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software engineers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets.
- Experience in optimization algorithms development (e.g, supply chain optimization, operations research, network design, machine learning, etc.) and/or the transportation domain
- Experience with Amazon Web Services