Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Security
- Ottawa, Canada
Come and build innovative services that protect our cloud from security threats.
As an AWS Security Senior Software Development Engineer (SDE), you'll help to build and manage services that detect and automate the mitigation of cyber threats across Amazon's infrastructure. You'll work with data scientists, security engineers, and other software development engineers across multiple teams to develop innovative security solutions at massive scale. Our services protect the AWS cloud for all customers and preserves our customers' trust in us. You'll get to use the full power and breadth of AWS technologies to build services that proactively protect every single AWS customer, both internally and externally, from security threats not many teams can say that!
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. The team has a mix of experience levels, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers, data scientists, and managers truly enjoy mentoring junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We assign projects and tasks based on what will help team members develop into a more well-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes, we do get to build a cool service, but we also believe a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we cultivate every day.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers. We want someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work. We are passionate about the capabilities we build, and we are responsible for our on-call rotation to ensure our services bring value to our customers. We understand that life is challenging and we have a flexible work environment that enables individuals to adjust their work schedule to accommodate personal needs.
• BS degree and 5+ years of professional software development experience building and operating production systems with at least one modern language such as Java, Go, TypeScript, Python
• 4+ years of designing, building, and operating large-scale software systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, scaling, and system design)
• Experience developing reliable and scalable software solutions in a highly distributed, virtualized, or cloud environment
• Demonstrated technical leadership in software engineering (e.g., tech lead, led part of architecture, led part of product or software development effort, etc.)
• Experience leading and coaching junior software development engineers to improve their skills and effectiveness
• Experience with Linux, security, network protocols, and security tools (e.g. intrusion detection, log analysis, and network scanning)
• MS in a STEM related field
• Experience with building solutions that detect and remediate security threats
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us LNKPOP.
Back to top