Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS QuickSight, Analytics Database Engine
- Seattle, WA
Do you like building a service from the ground up? Are you passionate about database engineering and query engines? Do you want to want to work closely with customers to revolutionize the way they analyze their data?
We are building a new query service, code named SPICE. It is a new database service that specializes in analytical queries. SPICE is currently powering Amazon QuickSight, an AWS business analytics service. As a multi-tenant serverless analytics backend, SPICE enables organizations to scale to hundreds of thousands of users without the need to manage infrastructure or provision capacity.
There are tremendous challenges in building a new service from scratch, and we are excited about it. We are building innovative technologies to solve hard problems in query planning and execution. We are looking for passionate engineers to join us in this journey.
You will work on both the architecture and deep algorithmic problems. You will build new components and write a lot of code. You will influence our technical direction and help prioritize our product roadmap by working closely with customers. You will partner with talented people and have plenty of opportunities to learn and lead.
In Amazon Web Services (AWS), our mission is to provide customers with best in class data services in the cloud to store, query and analyze the enormous data sets that their businesses generate. We build distributed storage, index and query systems that are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to manage and use. These are exciting times in our space we are growing fast, but still at an early stage and working on ambitious new initiatives where an engineer at any level can have significant technical and business impact.
• Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture/design/working software solutions.
• Code and test system components; participate in code and design reviews.
• Demonstrate ownership of end-to-end code quality, system tests, functional tests, and integration.
• Partner/Collaborate across teams/roles to deliver results.
• Be responsible for overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance.
• Mentor other engineers, define the technical culture, and help grow the team.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• B.S. in Computer Science of a related field
• Experience in query planning, storage engine, and query optimization
• Experience in large-scale data analytics or data warehousing
Back to top