Senior Software Development Engineer - AWS ODE
- Seattle, WA
We are a fast-growing team addressing customer needs to transform the energy and utilities industry through distributed software engineering, machine learning, analytics and building new solutions on the AWS cloud. We are the first AWS software development team in New Zealand and are excited to be partnering with Vector to work on a new generation of software for smart energy, to deliver more affordable, reliable and cleaner energy solutions.
Our initial focus is to collect and analyse data from more than 1.6 million IoT-connected Vector advanced meters across Australia and New Zealand, providing insights that will allow Vector to enable energy and utilities companies to develop tailored product and pricing solutions for their customers.
In the future, insights from our systems will enable the acceleration of the update of renewables and electric vehicles. Our ability to rapidly process and reason over vast amounts of incoming data means more precise, more timely information will be able to be provided to the energy market, resulting in accurate and dynamic pricing models.
Our New Zealand team is part of Outcome Driven Engineering (ODE) in AWS, a worldwide organization building brand new services in partnership with key strategic customers across multiple industries, including our sustainability alliance with Vector. We work closely with other AWS teams, other ODE teams as well as our colleagues on this project based in Seattle.
As a senior member of the team, you can have a huge impact on everything from the functionality we deliver for our customers, to the design and architecture of our systems, to the algorithms we employ to the culture we build. The team comprises a wide range of skill sets and experience levels, providing the opportunity for new members to both be mentored and for mentorship.
Senior Software Development Engineers at Amazon are force multipliers, bringing experience in influencing and directing team and customer decisions, the ability to solve complex technical challenges and design highly scalable, reliable and robust services. This is a key technical leadership position with the opportunity to create reusable mechanisms, best practices and software extending beyond the boundaries of a single product.
We are looking for experienced hands-on Software Development Engineers who are obsessed with customer success, passionate about simplification and design-thinking, and excited about building industry leading, next generation systems on the AWS cloud.
You should be a software developer with not only a good track record of delivering large scale software, but also excel in communication, leadership and customer focus. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help shape the future of AWS engineering here in New Zealand and reach the world!
Keen to know more? https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/industries/vector-and-aws-join-forces-to-accelerate-the-future-of-energy/
• Masters or Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field of studies
• 8+ years of non-internship professional software development experience on complex, large scale problems focused on the customer outcome
• Experience with at least one modern object-oriented language such as Java, C++, Python or C#
• 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis and distributed systems
• Strong sense of ownership, customer obsession, and drive
• Proven ability to mentor other software developers and to improve development best practices.
• Experience with machine learning, big data or large-scale distributed systems.
• Familiarity with energy and utilities, or building software to collect, process and analyse IoT-related data.
• Clarity in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts.
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Strong mentoring and technical leadership skills
• Great problem solving skills, you are known for coming up with great ideas that lead to great customer outcomes
Come build the future with us!
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We cultivate a welcoming and inclusive culture, and recognize the importance of a good work/life balance, with flexible schedules and work-at-home options depending upon the role. Team members bring a wide range of skill sets and experience levels, providing both growth and mentoring opportunities for new members.
Back to top