Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS KMS
- Arlington, VA
Are you excited at the prospect of keeping millions of customers' data safe? Do you want to help secure applications by offering cryptographic services at scale? Security is the #1 concern of customers moving to the cloud and the AWS Cryptography team is dedicated to providing the security features our customers need. We enable customers to confidently move sensitive workloads to the cloud where they can benefit from strong security controls that help meet internal and external compliance requirements. AWS Key Management Service and AWS CloudHSM provide encryption and key management services, while AWS Certificate Manager handles the complexity of provisioning, deploying, and managing certificates.
The AWS Key Management Service (KMS) is looking for a strong Senior Software Development Engineer with expertise in building distributed, scalable systems to join us in building some of the most secure services at AWS. We help AWS customers protect their sensitive data inside and outside of the cloud with easy to use, secure, and affordable encryption services. You should have experience designing scalable, customer-centric systems and a passion for simple and elegant software solutions. Along with senior leaders, principal engineers, and security specialists you will discover and solve the new interesting challenges of growing and operating a globally distributed cryptographic security service
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
As an AWS Senior Engineer you'll:
• Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
• Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
• Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
• Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
• Contribute intellectual property through patents.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
You are a visionary leader, builder and operator. You have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You are able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology. You'll strive for simplicity and will demonstrate significant creativity.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technical field
• 6+ years of relevant, broad engineering experience required
• Experience leading the delivery of large-scale systems focused on managing the infrastructure layer of the technology stack
• Technical expertise in creating large scale software engineering projects in a mission critical environment, building complex distributed systems, building monitoring or management tools for large-scale environments
• Experience in mentoring and providing technical leadership to engineers in the team
• Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices
• Experience with Agile Management (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO Modeling, working on internet, Linux, Middleware, and database related projects
• Master's degree in computer science or related technical field
• Experience collaborating with other developers/teams to deliver complex projects
• Strong and creative problem solving abilities
• Experience with cryptography and computer security
• Self-service tools and automated management/optimization of services, and a strong services orientation
• Knowledge of full life-cycle software engineering practices including coding standards, testing, source control management, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to take a project from scoping requirements through launch
• Experience with large scale systems
• Experience with Hardware Security Modules, Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs), or other cryptographic hardware
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top