Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 HyperPlane Team is looking for engineers to join our growing development teams in Seattle, WA.
EC2 HyperPlane is an AWS core service that offers customers incredibly scalable and robust load balancing technology. We support a number of internal service as well as customer facing products, such as NAT Gateway, Network Load Balancer, Private Link, and many others. We are now designing and building the next generation systems capable of handling massive amounts of data per day, and growing from there. This is a unique opportunity to innovate and build some of the world's most resilient large-scale systems from the ground up.
We innovate frequently, and hold ourselves to high standards of service and availability. We ship software frequently, get fast feedback from real customers around the globe, and see the results of our work come to fruition.
Our team tackles real-world problems that don't generally have ready-made solutions. For example, how do you ensure customers can scale their application quickly to handle traffic spikes and then back down in a matter of minutes? How do you design a load balancing solution that allows customers to quickly and easily achieve the highest levels of fault tolerance using Amazon EC2?
Do you want to help design and build a service that is used by millions of customers every day? Are you passionate about architecting highly available and large-scale services? If the answer is yes, the HyperPlane team wants to talk with you.
We care about career growth. We work hard to find the right tasks for our engineers so they can continue to grow into more well rounded engineers, increase their software engineering skills and give them the opportunity to expand into functional areas they are interested in learning.
We're looking for a teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, values the Amazon Leadership Principles and will help us build our positive team culture.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Design and develop APIs, new features or enhancements to the service portfolio
- Ensure 100% application uptime and minimize service disruptions
- Push code using automation and other deployment tools
- Document work, train your peers and other engineering teams
- Respond to and resolve technical emergencies
- Build infrastructure to increase the service global footprint
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee- led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience building highly-available distributed systems
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices for the full development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment