Senior Software Development Engineer, AWS Aurora PostgreSQL, Seattle, WA
- Redmond, WA
Want to work on the coolest technology while growing your career, in a group that cares about people just as much as products?
Amazon Aurora is an exciting new area of innovation for AWS, and the PostgreSQL-compatible edition of Amazon Aurora is the newest part of it, built on one of the cleanest code bases in the open source community. The PostgreSQL-compatible version of Amazon Aurora is a new relational database which offers enterprise-class performance, availability and durability - all at open source prices - to our customers, along with the management benefits of RDS. We're a relatively new team in Database Services, one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon Web Services. We are currently spread across Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Sydney, and Dublin.
Not only do we have deep database and systems programming problems to solve for our customers, but we also minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
If you're an engineer who is looking to grow, come on board! We have one of the most senior teams in AWS - and our senior engineers are eager to brainstorm, mentor, and get software built together. We built software, we patent new things, and we attend conferences around the world to learn even more. We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, database internals, caching, query optimization, languages, and performance engineering.
We intend to be the world's best and fastest database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
For more information about Aurora, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora.
For more information about RDS for PostgreSQL, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
• Good understanding of multi-threaded programming, concurrency, locking, and synchronization
• Linux / UNIX system experience
• Proficiency in object-oriented design
• Experience in back-end services
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to a quality effort, including creating tests and executing them
• Solid track record for delivery of high quality products
• Good understanding of open source database technologies
• Master's or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science
• Experience in SQL database development
• Experience in distributed systems, including consistency protocols, transaction concurrency and isolation levels
• Good understanding of data consistency, locking, and network protocols
• Knowledge of database system internals and design principles
• Hands-on experience with AWS APIs and services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top