Senior Software Development Engineer - Amazon DynamoDB
- Seattle, WA
Want to make history in distributed storage systems? Come and join the Amazon DynamoDB team!
DynamoDB is one of the most critical services at the core of the AWS Cloud. It provides fast and predictable performance (millisecond latencies for reads and writes) with seamless scalability. DynamoDB can handle peaks of more than 20 million requests per second and store petabytes of customer data.
There has never been a better time to join the DynamoDB team as we kick off the next wave of innovation that will take the service availability and latency numbers to a whole new level. Through these efforts, we aim to grow DynamoDB by 10 times in the next 2 years. We are looking for a deeply technical, team-first-mentality senior software development engineer who is willing to commit to this goal. You will have a unique opportunity to work on the core of DynamoDB, contributing to its continuous exponential growth and scaling it for millions of new users around the globe.
Engineers say DynamoDB is a technically challenging space that requires unique and innovative solutions. When working on DynamoDB, you will help to solve the hardest engineering challenges in distributed systems at a massive scale. The problems you face will exercise your intellectual curiosity to its maximum. You will help lead an amazing team of intelligent individuals to deliver impactful results for customers. And you will interact with other senior SDEs and principal engineers on a daily basis, who will help you take your design and architectural skills to the next level.
As a senior SDE on the Storage team, you will be responsible for forging the strategy and architecture that provide the foundation for a new service. Our code is responsible for storing petabytes of customer data in the most efficient way across thousands of machines, while providing high reliability and low-latency access to the data. As a Tier Zero service, everything we do must be scalable, efficient, and fault tolerant. We can't pick two out of the three.
You will be involved in adding features, both customer facing and internal. This is a hands-on position in which you will be asked to do everything from building rock-solid services to formulating strategy, evangelizing technology, and mentoring other engineers. You need to not only be a top engineer with a track record of delivering on commitments, but also excel at communicating and leading with customers in mind.
If you want to test your limits and tackle technical challenges you won't see anywhere else, join our team!
Your responsibilities will include:
• Translating complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
• Running multi-engineer, cross-team projects, and mentoring others on project management and prioritization.
• Being very hands on. Work with others on the engineering team to manage day-to-day development activities, and participate in designs, design reviews, code reviews, and implementation.
• Delivering quality features on time and on budget.
• Performing data analysis to identify opportunities to optimize our services.
• Working with data scientists to understand the data they need, and acting on the insights they provide.
• Maintaining current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always being on the lookout for new technologies and working with management and the development team to bring in new technologies when appropriate.
You must be able to work with a minimum level of technical supervision while responding efficiently to multiple priorities. You will lead engineering teams to design, optimize, and deliver a wide variety of projects using a variety of development tools and practices. In addition, you will build shared components and tools, looking for opportunities to simplify. You will analyze the latest technologies and development trends. As a technical leader, you will set and drive best practices for the team.
By joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative and comfortable work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing technology company.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• A Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
• Seven or more years of professional software development experience
• Experience with relational and nonrelational database systems
• Knowledge of database internals a big plus: storage engines and query processing
• Track record of successfully leading the delivery of projects as part of an agile software development team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• Experience mentoring and coaching junior engineers with less experience
• Experience with machine learning and statistical analysis
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, see https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top