Senior Software Development Engineer - Amazon Cognito
- Vancouver, Canada
Security is an important consideration for customers moving to the cloud, and Amazon Cognito helps customers secure some of the most critical data including credentials of the end users of their mobile or web applications. Amazon Cognito provides easy to use authentication, authorization, and user management for web and mobile apps, either directly with a user name and password, or through a third party identity provider such as Facebook, Amazon, or Google. The customer demand is increasing and we are poised to grow the team to add new functionality that will delight all our customers from the developer directly using our service APIs, to the IT administrators managing our customers' identity solutions and finally the end users logging into the customers' apps. We need brilliant engineers to work with us on this new initiative and help us tackle new challenges.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will build features to enable AWS developers to rapidly and effortlessly build an easy to use, frictionless signin and signup experiences for their customers, providing an always-on internet scale authentication and authorization for end users with a fully featured customer identity experience with strong, adaptive protection mechanisms and access to cutting-edge techniques that help prevent, detect, mitigate and respond to today's complicated threat landscape. You will be part of a high performing development team that owns end-to-end development for the service.
A successful candidate is a software developer who has demonstrated the ability to solve complex problems from scratch, can operate independently demonstrating strong judgement in face of technical problems and successfully deliver projects. Ideally, experience with security and/or distributed systems would make it easier to hit the ground running. If this sounds like you, come join us in Seattle and help AWS write a new chapter in the cloud computing story for the industry.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 5+ years of proven experience in developing scalable production systems
• Experience using at least one object oriented programming language (Java, C++, C#, etc.)
• Expertise in computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to collaborate with developers, product managers, and our customers
• Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 10+ years of proven experience in developing scalable, distributed systems
• Experience in Authentication and Authorization protocols
• Experience with user authentication and authorization concepts
• Understanding of OIDC, OAuth 2.0 and SAML 2.0 protocols
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Back to top