Senior Software Development Engineer
- Tokyo, Japan
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to build massively scalable systems that are used by the world's largest cloud infrastructures? AWS continues to pioneer and our team is architecting, building and operating scalable services that are utilizing big data, machine learning and data mining to create the world's largest internet of things.
Our developers own the projects that set the bar for Amazon and the industry in platform level service, effectively enabling the hardware at scale by writing the software that manages every single host. In this role you will be building the next generation of platform level software while being challenged to understand server hardware at the bare metal level. You will also be mentoring other engineers and communicating real time with AWS customer product groups like EC2, S3, Dynamo, EBS and others. As a team, our culture is both fun and committed to operational excellence while offering a realistic work-life balance and exposure to some of the brightest minds in the industry.
A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise and the ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company. They will be passionate about delivering solid code that has a direct impact on our customers - Netflix to Nasa.
AWS provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage and other services, gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. AWS is the leading platform for designing and developing applications for the cloud, has over 400,000 third party developers writing applications for the platform and is currently used by leading companies globally.
1. How big is the team and what are some examples of member backgrounds?
We are a two pizza team comprised of Software and System Developers with backgrounds coming from all kinds of places: private sector, finance, mobile apps, and mathematics. We have a couple senior engineers that provide mentoring and coaching to the team
2. Is the team cross functional or primarily software engineers? If so, what other roles engage with the team?
We are primarily software engineers, but we often engage both system and hardware engineers on a day-to-day basis.
3. Does the team use data science and/or analytics techniques?
We have the benefit of lots of data, and we have data scientists within our larger org that we engage to perform deep analysis and predictions about our service to increase our efficacy.
4. Why should I join this team and how will the work add value to my experience in future ?
There is no better team in the world to gain technical expertise in large, scalable systems serving Earth's largest server fleet down to interacting with cutting-edge server hardware at a component level. We encompass more aspects of computer engineering than most software engineers ever get exposed to.
5. Does this team work purely on Automation/support stuff and to what extent do they use OO languages ?
We work about 90/10 automation/service interfaces. The languages we use are almost holistically OO, but we do have some lower level scripts that we'll maintain for more advanced interactions with the hardware.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with peers across multiple disciplines and job duties
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• 6+ years of experience developing software in at least one of: Python, Ruby, Perl, and/or Java
• Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies.
• Experience with large scale systems.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Back to top