Senior Software Development Engineer
- Reston, VA
Have you ever ordered a product from Amazon and been amazed by how fast it gets to you? Every day, Amazon engineers are working relentlessly to make sure that the time from Click to Deliver is as short as possible for your products.
In our mission to get packages to you even faster, Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) has invested in a team, which is building large scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems for optimizing fulfillment operations. These systems will provide insight into billions of signals and events per day in a sophisticated IoT environment involving material handling automation, machine vision, robotics, data analytics, machine learning and cloud computing.
Are you ready to make history?
We are seeking innovative, effective, results-oriented software engineers to join our mission to build the most advanced fulfillment centers of the future. If you are up for a challenge to solve unique complex problems in the IoT space ("Internet of Things") involving the processing of billions of signals every day, you are the person we are looking for. Are you ready to help define the future of fulfillment technology and set a new record for shipping millions of packages faster than ever?
What do you need to bring?
As a successful candidate you are passionate about building quality software that has a big impact on your organization. You are an advocate for best practices in developing requirements, designing components, implementing robust code and testing it with unit tests. You strive for the best quality, but aspiring to not lose sight of timelines and delivering important results for your customers. You thrive on deep discussion with your teammates and are open minded and eager to learn from diversity of thought. You are ready to take on stretch assignments that take your career to the next level.
What will you do on our team?
You will design, develop and test software components that interact with fulfillment center technologies, such as material handling equipment, computer vision, robotics and cloud services
Build new software using best practices and high quality standards
Design novel large scale data store solutions for high frequency data and with low latency access
Participate in definition of coding standards and apply them in code and design reviews
Provide estimates for development tasks and negotiate timelines with project leaders
Mentor junior team members and help them acquire critical skills and best practices
Document and communicate technical concepts to team members and stakeholders
Participate in deep technical discussions, where you stand up for your ideas and work with team members to find the best solution for the customer
Identify technical and project risks and take initiative to mitigate them
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Back to top