Senior Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Woot's customers love crap. Well, Bags of Crap. Woot! is the original daily deals website, and we're looking for a senior software development engineer to help us continue to be that weird itch that our customers can't seem to get rid of.
As much as Woot's customers enjoy excitement and surprise when they're shopping on the site, a surprise is the last thing they want after they've given us money - whether with an issue while they place their order, or with a delayed package, or by receiving the wrong item, or customer service not being able to resolve their issue quickly. That's where you come in. Join the tech team that owns the post-ordering experience for Woot, including the order processing pipeline, payment, fulfillment, customer service functions, coupon/promotions, and accounting ingestion.
We're looking for an experienced engineer who can bring their unique perspectives to help grow the team's processes and architecture, so that our quality, velocity, supportability, and customer experience grows with our growing business. Listening, collaborating, empathizing, obsessing about our customers, and digging into the details are all key qualities in a candidate.
• Have an outsized impact on the customers and business results of a scrappy subsidiary. Own, build, and maintain a broad set of services. Work on systems and projects that have big customer impacts and big impacts to Woot's bottom line.
• Work closely with other software developers, data engineers, and product managers. Work closely with your internal customers - vendor managers, finance, marketing, warehouse, and customer service. Observe and interact with our (sometimes weird) customers first-hand in our forums.
• Evaluate, prototype, and evangelize new tools and high level architecture for the entire Woot! subsidiary
• Dodge flying screaming monkeys from time to time
Why this Woot! team?
• Add to an already-strong team of engineers with a culture of teamwork and cooperation - not just a collection of individuals.
• Lead by example by writing clear, testable, maintainable code
• Collaborate with your peers to set improved goals and standards for software development and project management practices
• Along with your manager and other senior engineers, guide the direction of the team's software architecture
• Mentor junior engineers in the team and help them grow in their technical prowess
• Both build new services and improve existing web services and message workers to use modern AWS architecture approaches - leveraging Lambda, SNS/SQS, DynamoDB, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, Cognito and beyond
• Professional software development experience - designing, developing, releasing, supporting, and updating software releases that solve complex problems
• Strong software development skillset - problem solving, software design, debugging, optimizing, and diagnosing production issues
• Experience architecting and building software systems that have been successfully delivered to customer
• Proficiency in at least one object oriented language such as C#, C++, or Java
• Experience with AWS and/or distributed computing, serverless applications, and non-relational data stores
• Experience working with non-technical customers - building high-trust relationships, understanding their needs, and driving down ambiguities in requirements
• Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Back to top