Senior Software Development Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world!
• Develop dynamic web applications and the APIs that power them
• Design and code new RESTful APIs (Python) that support both web and programmatic callers
• Build natively on AWS, using serverless technologies (CloudFront, API Gateway, Lambda)
• Create backend systems that scale by leveraging NoSQL databases (DynamoDB)
• Raise the bar on quality, security, performance, scalability, usability and operations
• Stay abreast of developments and trends in Cloud architectures, web dev and programming languages
• Support the Region Services organization mission through the creation of tooling for AWS region builds, service expansion and feature tracking
• Establish relationships across development teams to programmatically integrate our services with other teams' APIs
The Team: Region Build Informer (RBI) team leads the charter of transforming how AWS builds new regions by leveraging data and automation to optimize region builds. RBI's systems and solutions look around corners to find insights that move the needle in reducing the duration of AWS region builds. Engineers on the RBI team are building new services and solutions from the ground up, leveraging AWS serverless technologies including API Gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, and Aurora Serverless.
We need developers who move fast, are capable of breaking down and solving complex problems, and have a strong will to get things done. Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end to end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
• Mater's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C#, or Python.
• Experience with building dynamic web applications and the APIs that power them (React, Redux, NodeJs, and/or Angular).
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
*Please email AWS Sourcing Recruiter, Tracy Fifer (email@example.com) if you have questions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top