Senior Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about data? Does the prospect of dealing with massive volumes of data excite you? Do you want to build engineering solutions that process billions of records a day in a scalable fashion using AWS technologies? Do you want to create the next-generation tools for intuitive data analysis?
As a Sr. Software Engineer, in the SDK's and Tools platform team, your focus will be in defining solutions, distilling insights from large datasets, developing reliable, scalable and maintainable solutions and achieving operation excellence in production. As part of this role, you'll have the opportunity to work across many groups, gaining deep insights into our entire business. Let your curiosity guide you to dive deep into a variety of exciting new fields from super low-latency computing, to big-data and other cutting edge frontier technology. This job will challenge you on various fronts you'll solve technical challenges in optimization, hyper-scale computing, distributed systems, scalability, security, and algorithms just to name a few.
You will have direct ownership over the architecture of new components aimed at creating a service that provides key business insights to stakeholders across AWS. You care about both delighting customers and high quality software; you don't sacrifice one for the other. We're looking for someone with a demonstrated track record of building highly-scalable, global software solutions.
In this role, you will:
• Design, implement, and support a platform providing access to large datasets.
• Serve as a technical leader on our most demanding and complex projects.
• Drive operational excellence best practices with strong focus on providing visibility over the end to end process.
• Ensure high quality of our architecture and designs of our systems.
• Functionally decompose complex problems and define simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Evangelize performance, scalability, and engineering best practices across the organization.
• Work with key stakeholders in product management and executive teams to define strategy and requirements.
• Communicate regularly with senior management on status, risks and change control.
• Assist in the career development of others by actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Experience building high scale distributed systems that process large amounts of data.
• Experience working on Amazon Web Services like EMR, Lambda, S3, Redshift.
• Experience with database internals especially with Redshift cluster optimization, workload manager.
• Experience debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting software.
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability and availability.
• Experience working on complex ETL data pipelines.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers in all aspects of their engineering skill sets.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
• Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
• Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities.
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top