Amazon is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees while continuing to serve people who need our services more than ever. Regular, inexpensive, and user friendly COVID-19 testing will help our essential workers stay safe and all of us get back to doing the things we love more quickly. We need high volume testing to make this happen.
This Senior Software Development Engineer role will support our laboratory software team and help launch and scale novel mechanisms of COVID-19 testing. We have an exciting software roadmap even as COVID vaccines scale. In this role, you will work closely with product management, scientists, and clinicians to develop modern laboratory management software.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for developing overall architecture and high-level design. This candidate should be an expert in full stack web development and familiar with design and implementation of applications to manage data, integrate with robotics or instruments, API design, and/or user interfaces. The ideal candidate will be effective operating under a high degree of ambiguity to create efficient, flexible, and extensible solutions. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as the candidate will work very closely with diverse cross-functional teams.
• Work closely with other senior engineers, UX designers, and product managers to create high quality UI experiences used by lab technicians, scientists, and lab staff.
• Maintain operational rigor for a fast-growing service.
• Develop software that spans both digital UIs and physical laboratory instruments.
• Build and deliver high quality data architecture to support customer reporting needs and data scientists. Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
• Work closely with other senior engineers to architect high quality technical design and mentor junior engineers in the technical design of their work
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 6+ years of professional software development experience
• 4+ years of experience contributing to or leading the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, a related field or substantive professional experience.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
• Hands on experience with services such as CloudFormation, CloudWatch, RDS and EC2
• Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, In memory Databases
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining web service API's
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience developing laboratory management, manufacturing, or other process management software and/or experience integrating with robotic liquid handlers, DNA sequencers, or other laboratory instruments
• Familiarity or demonstrated interest in the life sciences, genomics, or biotechnology
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.