As a Senior Software Engineer on the Pipelines team, you will be a technical lead on industry leading continuous delivery tools. The Pipelines product is mature, sophisticated, and only available to Amazonians that need cutting edge continuous delivery features. As a Senior Software Engineer you will solve complex architecture and business problems. You will work on team architecture and code that impacts dependencies, yields significant performance, availability, and business value. You will lead projects to improve engineering, test, and operational excellence best practices on your team and you will make technical trade-offs between short term team needs and long term business needs.
The Developer Tools team at Amazon is responsible for both internal and external (AWS) developer tools. We enable our customers to manage their end-to-end software release process (CI/CD), including going from source code check-in, to building those changes, to testing those changes, to deploying those changes, and tracking issues through our ticketing and issue management systems. We own several dozen of the mission-critical internal systems that make Amazon run. We also own the external AWS developer experience. We are empowering AWS customers to build and operate software just like Amazon does. CodeDeploy, CodeCommit, CodeBuild, CodePipeline, and Cloud9 are the beginning of a suite of tools that will put the power of Amazon's homegrown tools in the hands of our customers. With thousands of internal and external developers as our customers, we run some of the biggest and most powerful developer tools on the planet.
What you do:
• You are considered a technical leader on your team.
• When given a business problem, you create a technical strategy and deliver with limited guidance.
• You influence your team's software architecture and likely influence related teams architecture too.
• You solve difficult or complex architecture and business problems. Your solutions are extensible. You work to simplify, optimize, and remove bottlenecks.
• You focus on architecture. Your design and code impact dependencies, yields significant performance, availability, and business value.
• You successfully launch software for the business and resolve architectural deficiencies.
• You lead projects to improve engineering, test, and operational excellence best practices on your team.
• You will know your team's architecture in detail and make technical trade-offs between short-term team needs and long-term business needs.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Testing and debugging skills
• MS in CS with 7-10+ years of experience in multithreaded, distributed system design and architecture
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.