Are you interested in building a new service for AWS customers? We are developing a new AWS service as part of AWS Data Exchange to enable data sharing at scale. This new initiative is in a very nascent space, where you will be able to Think Big and innovate on behalf of customers in a start-up like environment.
We are looking for a Sr. Software Development Engineer (SDE) with experience building secure, scalable solutions that delight customers. As a foundational member of the team, you will be responsible for driving the team's long-term vision and architecture, drive/shape roadmaps, and provide technical leadership to the engineering team.
The ideal candidate will have extensive design and architecture experience, knowledge of AWS technologies and services, and a proven track record of building mission critical, highly scalable systems. In addition to strong technical knowledge, you will be someone who understands how to balance moving quickly with long-term investments. Your are customer obsessed and passionate about solving hard ambiguous problems.
As a Senior SDE on the team, you will:
- Review projects' ability to deliver robust and scalable solutions toward this vision, learning and incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
- Build relationships with Development Managers, Engineers and Technical Project Managers across various AWS service teams.
- Participate in the architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale global software applications, systems, platforms, services or technologies.
- Participate in Agile project management methodologies to provide technical leadership and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Build, manage, and develop world-class engineers including hiring recommendations and guide and mentor engineers and project managers within and outside of the team.
- Ensure high quality design reviews which meet business and architectural goals and drive critical feedback on architecture and design issues.
- Participate in strategic planning to achieve technical and business goals with team, leadership chain, and with customers
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
About the opportunity :
- Greenfield: We launched a Private Beta in February 2022 and still have a lot of work to do before we launch publicly. This is a chance to get in on the ground floor of a brand new service. It also means we have no legacy code, are using all modern tooling and best practices (see the tech below), and there's plenty of opportunity to influence all aspects of the team including tech, product, and processes!
- Start Up : This is an opportunity to wear multiple hats in a start up like environment within AWS. You'll work closely with Product, UXD, customers, and engineers to define the customer facing solution and the technical implementation! We're currently a team of 17, 9 of whom are SDEs. We're growing fast and plan on hiring 12 more people this year!
- High Profile : Bastion is extremely high profile! We've had doc reviews with James Hamilton (Amazon's most senior engineer) and Eric Brandwine (Amazon's most senior security engineer). Additionally, delivering Bastion is a Flagship STeam goal, which means the Amazon STeam is paying attention - some have even reached out directly to ask about our status!
- PE Exposure : Bastion is working closely with a number of PEs throughout AWS and Amazon Ads! You'll have opportunity to learn and grow from some of Amazon's most talented engineers.
- Minimal On-Call: We're a brand new service that has high standards. This means our systems are stable and our on-call shifts are easy!
Our critical path code involves programmatically parsing/rewriting SQL - so if the words compiler, abstract syntax tree, or lexer interest you, you're in the right place! You're also in the right place if they don't interest you as we have plenty of opportunities (control plane/API design, data plane scaling, cross team integrations) outside of that space as well :)
About the team : We're a diverse, highly collaborative team that values synchronous interaction and teamwork. We truly believe that teamwork makes the dream work! We do recurring virtual hang outs, often turn video on for calls so we're not talking into the ether, and have an active chatter slack channel.
We're located primarily in NYC, but also have team members in Seattle, Montana, and Chicago.
Where are we hiring?: We're officially hiring in New York City, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Vancouver, Toronto , Boston, Atlanta, Arlington, and Jersey City. Feel free to reach out even if one of these locations doesn't work for you, I'm sure we can figure something out :). We have a lax in office policy and plan on going back to office for ~1-2 days per week.
Next Steps : Please reach out to me directly via slack/email if you'd like to learn more about the opportunity!
You can learn more about me (Bastion's Head of Engineering and hiring manager for this position) in How to Work With @sharkedj .
- Experience building high scale distributed systems that handle big amounts of data
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers in all aspects of their engineering skillsets
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
- Experience using Amazon Web Services
- Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems