Amazon Kinesis Analytics enables real-time processing of high-volume streaming data in the cloud. We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic and able to work effectively with a diverse team and someone who will help us continue to build a inclusive team culture.
Today, real-time processing from data streams still needs substantial investments from customers in writing their stream processing applications and maintaining the necessary infrastructure. As a senior software engineer in the team, your primary focus will be to solve complex technical problems in making the service platform robust and enhance it with new capabilities. Providing technical leadership in building and improving application lifecycle management, fleet management and health management capabilities of the service are some of the core aspects of the role.
The ideal candidate is expected to have deep understanding of large scale systems and container orchestration frameworks and is able to guide and mentor multiple engineers on the team to deliver to customers. This is a strategic bet for Kinesis organization in making Stream processing mainstream and you will be forefront in this effort.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field OR equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 5+ years professional experience in software development
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
• Experience building extremely high volume and highly scalable web services.
• Experience building highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
• Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
• Working knowledge of Kubernetes, Hadoop, MapReduce, Storm, Spark or other Big Data processing platform.
• Experience with at least one modern scripting language such as Ruby, Python or PHP.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive. • Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science.
• Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us