Senior Security Engineer - GuardDuty
- Seattle, WA
Amazon GuardDuty is a customer facing threat detection service that was built to protect applications and services running in AWS. The service processes trillions of events and applies advanced analytics and machine learning to detect threats. If you are interested in learning about operating a service at massive scale and working alongside world class engineers, then this role is for you.
The Security Engineer position will be working on Amazon GuardDuty, which is a managed threat detection service that continuously monitors for malicious or unauthorized behavior to help you protect your AWS accounts and workloads. It monitors for activity such as unusual API calls or potentially unauthorized deployments that indicate a possible account compromise. GuardDuty also detects potentially compromised instances or reconnaissance by attackers. This is an advanced engineering team that is using cutting edge techniques to help customers assess, monitor and protect their cloud based resources. We are looking for an experienced security engineer with red team penetration testing skills to join this team to research, tune and validate our detection mechanisms.
A successful candidate for this role will have a deep understanding of both information security and computer science. If you can exploit at scale while remaining stealthy, identify and exploit misconfigurations in network resources, develop out of the box techniques, and communicate complex info in a digestible manner, you could be an ideal candidate.
The scope of this role includes researching attack patterns, building attack simulations, active testing, and mentoring data scientists and software engineers. In this role, you will interface with many internal security teams to keep up to date with the latest attack techniques.
As a Security Engineer, you'll:
• Recognize and safely utilize attacker tools, tactics and procedures
• Develop scripts, tools or methodologies to enhance red team capabilities
• Work with data scientists to help develop and test detections for complex exploitation patterns
• Build simulations to validate tools and techniques
• Advise broader team on current threat landscape, tools & techniques
• Ability to a detonate and analyze behavioral patterns of Malware
• Create Intellectual Property, influence others while demonstrating significant creativity and being vocally self-critical
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• BS or MS in Computer Science, Math, or some other quantitative discipline
• 5+ years' experience with focus on system, network and/or application security
• 5+ years of experience building automated tools in a modern programming language
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or related quantitative discipline
• Data-driven and quantitative mentality. Always backs up ideas with facts.
• Experience with virtualization technologies and familiarity with AWS services
• Strong knowledge of web protocols and in-depth knowledge of linux tools and architecture
• Knowledge of modern exploitation techniques and methods for remaining stealthy
• Strong communication skills
• Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top