Senior SDE, AWS AppSync
- New York, NY
AWS AppSync is looking for an experienced Senior Software Development Engineer to help us build and expand our highly-scalable, managed GraphQL service. After launching in 2018, our service has grown rapidly and now serves thousands of developers, including individuals, small startups, and large enterprises. We are looking for engineers who want to build software operating at the cutting edge of the industry to power mobile apps, web sites, and backend applications.
You will work with an exceptional team to solve hard problems and learn new skills. You'll have opportunities to work with and learn from best-in-industry senior engineering talent. In addition to the technical challenges provided by the innovative use cases that we are working on, you will also learn how to build a service that meets AWS's high bar for availability, scalability, and security.
You will be responsible for developing and driving the future direction of the AppSync backend services, along with its console user interface and other developer tools. You'll meet with customers to help understand their use cases and make sure we maintain Amazon's commitment to start from the customer and work backwards. You'll help manage and operate our systems, using best-in-industry continuous-integration-and-deployment tools.
You'll have a direct line to our customers' experience and a direct means to improving it. On a daily basis, you'll work with teammates to review each other's code, mentor and be mentored, and create and implement system designs for the future of AppSync. You'll have an opportunity to lead from day one, from leading projects, to driving technical processes, to selecting programming languages and frameworks, to teaching and learning from your teammates.
Learn and Be Curious. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Inclusion and Diversity. Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• MS Computer Science/Computer Engineering.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
• Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
• Experience taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy.
• Appetite and enthusiasm to work with new technologies
• Keen interest in staying current with the latest trends and techniques in the industry
• Strong UX skills and sound knowledge of UX best practices with the ability to incorporate them into solutions
• Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Eagerness to adopt a lead role in mentoring and developing others
• Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top