Senior Product Manager - Technical
- Vancouver, Canada
Amazon Advertising operates at the intersection of e-Commerce and Advertising, offering a rich array of digital display advertising solutions with the goal of helping our customers find and discover anything they want to buy. We help advertisers reach Amazon customers across our owned and operated sites, on other high-quality sites across the web, and on millions of Kindles, tablets, and mobile devices. We start with the customer and work backwards in everything we do, including Advertising. If you're interested in joining a rapidly growing team working to build a unique, world-class advertising group with a relentless focus on the customer, you've come to the right place!
Our team's mandate is to launch and accelerate adoption of advertising measurement products and services that enhance advertiser experience on Amazon. We are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance measurement products that enable Advertisers to understand the impact of their Advertising on consumers. Our products are strategically important to drive long term growth. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
We're looking for entrepreneurial and innovative individuals who thrive on solving tough problems. As a Senior Product Manager you will have ownership for an exciting advertising program, driving product strategy and delivery, metrics and data, customer experience, marketing, and advertiser experience. Core skill areas for this role include requirements gathering, feature prioritization, product launch and marketing, data collection and analytics. You will be expected to establish a vision and key priorities for the program, make appropriate trade-offs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
The person in this role will be required to think big, dive deep, have a strong bias for action, and bring a history of delivering results to Amazon's advertising solutions. You will leverage data and industry experience to make informed decisions and can advise and lead development teams / stakeholders who don't have the same business context or customer perspective. It is a highly cross-functional role, engaging directly with customers of all sizes, fellow product managers and engineers across multiple development teams. Customer input and industry research are critical aspects to the role and will require working directly with external customers to collect input, mold requirements, and release features.
The right candidate will possess a strong product and program management background, have experience leading medium to large products and projects, and excel at written and verbal communications. A background in digital advertising and a well-rounded understanding of current web and mobile technologies will be significant plus-point. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means anticipating bottlenecks, making tradeoffs and balancing the needs of the business versus technical constraints. You will be expected to have strong opinions about design and user experience, as well as the analytic background necessary to track adoption and performance of your program. You will be able to lead a program at scale, and participate/influence other senior leaders across the company future direction-setting.
Additionally, you will direct in-depth market, industry, and opportunity analysis, and will work with technology and business teams to define product requirements, understand customer needs, and define success metrics and performance tracking methods for product launches. Development, testing, and delivery is performed in partnership with dedicated design, engineering and business teams.
Tactically, the Senior Product Manager owns the roadmap and is responsible for executing on it. You set the product strategy, define use cases, analyze potential customer and financial implications, and ultimately choose the most promising path for your strategy. You drive prioritization across multiple development teams, communication with internal stakeholders, user testing with customers, the go to market plan with product marketing and the adoption plan with Sales. You are an evangelist, promoting new features to customers, defining success metrics, and accelerating adoption while simultaneously protecting and enhancing the customer retail experience on Amazon.
• Developing product vision and strategy by working backward from the customer and defining / driving overall product strategies and roadmaps. Communicating this vision to senior leadership for buy-in.
• Defining customer, advertiser, and publisher experience for self-service products and features.
• Develop product requirements and partner with engineering, marketing, design, & sales to deliver them.
• Define the success metrics for features or services and track performance. Utilize metrics to deep-dive issues and uncover business-driving trends and patterns.
• Defining and executing project plans, assembling resources, and developing processes associated with product rollout and ongoing support.
• Managing products through initial launch and follow-on releases, identifying dependencies and clearing blockers.
• Writing business cases and produce financial models for key strategic projects.
• Reporting on our progress in weekly and monthly business reviews.
• Owning all aspects of the annual planning process for the product.
• Bachelor's Degree
• 5+ years of experience in product or program management, product marketing, business development or technology
• Experience with end to end product delivery
• Experience overseeing roadmap strategy and definition
• Experience with feature delivery and tradeoffs of a product
• Experience contributing to engineering discussions around technology decisions and strategy related to a product
• A demonstrated track record of leading a medium to large-scale 'program' from conception through completion, demonstrating multi-functional skills to make it successful
• Analytical and able to create sound business arguments backed up by data. SQL required.
• Ability to establish and manage projects and initiatives against a set of key metrics and goals
• Ability to lead and influence across different organizations and align diverse teams to a common goal
• Handle multiple contending priorities in an energizing environment
• Strong verbal and written communication abilities: must effectively communicate with technical and non-technical people
• Demonstrated ability for being detail-oriented, self-motivated and driving follow-through
• Master's degree in Business, Computer Science or related field
• Experience working cross-functionally with engineering, design, product, and project management counterparts to deliver products/services
• Familiarity with technical aspects of digital / display advertising
• Passionate about generating big, creative ideas to differentiate in the market, growing the business and working with advertisers and agencies to build innovative products
• Analytical and able to create sound business arguments backed up by data
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary; general manager / owner mentality and an entrepreneurial drive; demonstrated ability to have fun and inspire team
Back to top