Prime Video enables the world to watch video instantly, from any device, whether on the road or from the comfort of a living room sofa. Today, we deliver Movies, TV shows, Live Sports and Linear Programming to 1000s of devices. Our engineers and scientists are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in technology and software to disrupt the traditional television and movie industry with a massive library of high-quality media and reliable digital delivery. We operate globally and deliver across 10K+ end user networks. In spite of this scale, we operate as an early stage initiative with a fast paced, highly collaborative startup-like environment inside Amazon.
We are seeking a Senior Principal Applied Scientist to lead the novel development and application of ML techniques to a wide range of problems around video playback, video delivery, security and reliability of all content across Prime Video. In this role, you will push the boundaries of ML to enable us to scale faster across various dimensions to our customer around the world - with an emphasis to think globally when designing algorithms and building software to ensure that our ML capabilities in Prime Video evolve in the right long-term direction. In addition, you will directly and through other science community work with academic research institutions globally that will further accelerate our tech strategy for the future. You must have hands-on experience applying ML for complex real world large scale problems, as you'll work on Amazon's hardest problems - building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs.
As a Sr. Principal Engineer you will be expected to:
- Serve as a technical lead for all ML initiatives across Video Playback, Delivery and Security organization and be available to provide guidance across Prime Video.
- Serve as a leader to identify applications of ML based on good understanding of our tech stack.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward applications of ML.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in core algorithm development, ML application, fundamental ML techniques, Big Data. and engineering best practices.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
- Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
- Engage in future looking research both internally and with academic institutions globally.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Experience in fundamental ML techniques and Big Data.
- Experience in applying ML to complex real world, large scale, business problems and be able to see direct customer/business benefit.
- Experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale services.
- 10+ years of hand-on experience as a Principal-level Software Development Engineer.
- Experience mentoring and growing scientist
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience with Video Standards and CV based technologies is an advantage.
- Background in security, fraud detection, DRM and content protection.
- Proficiency in coding to deploy models into production.
- Experience partnering with device manufacturers, content providers and ISPs.