Senior Principal Applied Scientist, Customer Engagement Technology
- Seattle, WA
As a Senior Principal Applied Scientist, you are a trusted part of the technical leadership. You will work with business leaders, scientists, and engineers to lead scientific efforts in automating customer interactions at Amazon. You will implement scalable systems and processes across all of the geographies that Amazon operates in. The solutions that you design will be critical to scaling Amazon's retail operations for years to come. You will bring deep expertise in natural language processing and machine learning, preferably in the areas of dialogue generation and spoken language understanding.
You bring business and industry context to science and technology decisions. You set the standard for scientific excellence and make decisions that affect the way we build and integrate algorithms. You solicit differing views and are willing to change your mind as you learn more. Your code, designs and documents are exemplary and are used as references across the organization.
You are a hands-on scientific leader. You tackle intrinsically hard problems, acquiring expertise as needed. You decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions. You amplify your impact by leading scientific reviews within your organization or at your location. You scrutinize and review experimental design, modeling, and other research procedures. You probe assumptions, illuminate pitfalls, and foster shared understanding. You align teams toward coherent strategies. You educate and mentor other scientists within the org and across Amazon at large, keeping the scientific community up to date on advanced techniques, state of the art approaches, the latest technologies and trends. You help managers guide the career growth of other scientists through mentoring and play a significant role in hiring and developing scientists and leads.
• 10+ years of combined academic and research experience
• Strong publication record in top-tier ML and NLP conferences (e.g. NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, EMNLP, etc.)
• PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or another quantitative field
• Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills
• Thought leader in machine learning and NLP, sought after for key tech decisions. Can successfully sell ideas to an executive-level decision maker
• Mentors and trains scientists on complex technical issues
• Significant experience in deploying scalable solutions to complex problems, from defining the problem, implementing the solution, and launching the new product successfully
Back to top