Senior Mechanical Engineer- Spacecraft Mechanisms
- Reynoldsburg, OH
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
This role is for a highly innovative and dynamic individual with the ability and drive to design and develop spacecraft mechanisms. In this role, you'll identify the requirements through negotiation with other disciplines, apply research, your creativity, and experience to develop mechanisms that meet reliability goals and are producible at volume at very low cost. This is a hands-on role and requires a self-starter with extensive skills in mechanical analysis, and the ability to drive multiple trades and iterations of design, build, and test as vehicle design advances, while diligently driving the design to the simplest possible solution that satisfies the requirements.
• Identify and analyze requirements, conceive and develop trade studies on mechanism design options.
• Create and iterate detailed CAD models of design options - mechanism geometry, materials / lubrication selections, assembly processes and test methods.
• Analyze (classical / FEA) all load conditions (static, dynamic, thermal, fatigue) for compliance.
• Develop test plans throughout development with variable isolation DOEs and statistical analysis for long term reliability assessments as needed.
• Define qualification plans and identify acceptance testing methods at volume production.
• Facilitate cost trades on multiple parallel configurations for cost/manufacturability vs design uncertainty.
• Produce complete design packages - detailed drawings, analysis reports, BOMs, Assembly documentation.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Master's degree in mechanical engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
• 7+ years of experience with development, test, deployment and on-orbit operation of spacecraft mechanisms.
• Experience with specifying/justifying margins and test sequences, and qualifying space systems.
• Experience with GD&T, and tolerance analysis.
• 5+ years of experience with mechanical analysis and FEA modeling (FEMAP, Ansys, others) - quantifying and solving for loads (static, dynamic, thermal) over product life; manufacture / assembly / test / integration/ launch deployment/ on-orbit ops.
• Space tribology experience, with 5+ years of relevant application experience with various lubricants, bearing sizing, selection, and test.
• 5+ years of experience with CAD.
• Advanced degree (PhD) in mechanical engineering or related field.
• 10+ years of experience in the design, qualification, volume production and deployment of complex electro-mechanical systems that are common for space environments.
• CAD - Siemens NX (or equivalent).
• Experienced with Issue tracking applications (JIRA, TRAC).
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top