Senior Mechanical Engineer (Avionics)
- Redmond, WA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We're looking for an outstanding Senior Mechanical Engineer with a background in design and analysis of secondary structure and PCBA for satellite systems. The ideal candidate has extensive experience performing secondary structure specific design and analysis such as random vibration analysis and hand calculation sizing based on quasi-static accelerations.
This is a hands-on role for a highly collaborative individual that combines superb technical and analytical capabilities to convert analytic trade studies to a qualified physical design, while optimizing for high volume production and meeting cross discipline requirements. The candidate will design, analyze, and test secondary structures while ensuring all requirements are met.
• Mechanical design and layout trades contributing to overall system architecture configuration selection, requiring extensive knowledge and experience in understanding, collaborating and trading complex inputs from multiple other disciplines Electrical, RF, Thermal, Dynamics, Mechanisms, Materials, Manufacturing, Assembly, and Test.
• Generate detailed designs with CAD assemblies/components and drawings as deliverables.
• Conduct static, dynamic and modal structural analysis as needed to support design work.
• Deliver an efficient structural design capable of high volume production throughput (DFMA)
• Documentation and presentation of materials for technical design reviews
• Design and support test campaigns, both development and qualification/acceptance, for space hardware
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Bachelor's degree in Structural or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience.
• 7+ years of experience with CAD design of complex highly constrained avionics systems for optimum spacecraft configuration.
• Experience in Finite Element Analysis of secondary structures including PCBA strength and reliability analysis (solder joint fatigue and Steinberg hand calcs.)
• Experience with structural materials and processes including metals, composites, bonded and bolted joints.
• Experience with LEO space environments and mitigations.
Advance degree (Master's or PhD) in structural or mechanical engineering or related discipline•
Experience with narrowing down the vehicle trade space with subsystems requirements and ICD definition.
Familiarity with common spacecraft subsystems: Power Systems (Solar Arrays, Batteries), Electric propulsion system integration, Secondary structures, Avionics assemblies, harnessing, ADCS elements and placement implications, Payload subsystems integration, Deployables, Release mechanisms, Moving mechanical assemblies, Thermal control systems and sizing (materials, finishes, MLI, HPAs, radiators), LV Interfaces.
• Siemens NX
• GD&T per ASME y14.5
• NASTRAN/ FEMAP (or equivalent pre/post)
• FEMAP API script writing
• ABAQUS CAE
• Hand calculations for initial sizing and feasibility checks
3+ years of experience and knowledge/skill in automotive, industrial equipment or materials handling technologies, or other automated volume production systems.
Highly experienced in issue tracking applications (JIRA, TRAC)
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top