Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Data Center
- Albany, Australia
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center foot print.
What we offer:
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
Our engineers work to design resilient, cost effective mechanical services systems. We are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to senior management and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs.
In this role, you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on. Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences.
You will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
Team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You will work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As a mechanical engineer, you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Other tasks include:
• Being a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support our data centers.
• Working with internal teams to understand user requirements.
• Participating in site selection reviews
• Managing design consultancy firms to create, review and release data center designs
• Managing change, versioning and configuration control.
• Working with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
• Defining and approval of project scopes, request for proposals (RFP) and request for information (RFI).
• Work with local Agencies Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to ensure compliance with city/county requirements and building codes.
• Work with commissioning teams to validate installation, operation, and performance of systems
• Working on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions
• Traveling for site review and conduct engineering evaluations, audits, and site launches
• Reviewing and approve equipment submittals
• Working with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design related problems
• Defining project scopes and provide support during construction phases
• Working with regional vendors and manufactures to specify the appropriate mechanical equipment.
• Defining project scopes and provide technical support for information requests during construction phases.
Please Apply With Your CV / LinkedIn Profile In English
• Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Building Services Engineering.
• 10+ years of experience with mission critical air and water cooling HVAC design.
• Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
• Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
• The ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
• Chartered Engineer
• Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
• Experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design such as Pharmaceutical, Hospital or Semi-Conductor projects.
• Understanding of BIM & CFD modelling
• Previous consultant negotiation and management skills associated with design, construction and project execution.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
• Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations.
• An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
• Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
• Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top