Senior Manager, Software Development - QuickSight
- New York, NY
Do you like building software from ground up? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage, visualize and interact with large amounts of data?
Amazon QuickSight is a fast, easy-to-use, cloud-powered business intelligence service for one-tenth the cost of traditional BI solutions. Amazon QuickSight makes it easy for all employees, regardless of their technical skill, to build visualizations, perform ad-hoc analysis, and quickly get business insights from their data. Amazon QuickSight uses a new calculation engine called SPICE to perform advanced calculations and render visualizations rapidly. Amazon QuickSight integrates automatically with AWS data services, enables organizations to scale to hundreds of thousands of users, and delivers fast & responsive query performance to them via SPICE's query engine.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineering leader to lead a team of highly skilled engineers with expertise and passion in building remarkable products with awesome user experiences - experience with client-side development using React JS, business intelligence, or mobile are all big pluses. As an experienced technical leader you'll lead in defining and delivering industry leading next generation data visualization product architected for the cloud. If this is you, Amazon is a unique place where you can design and build innovative technologies in this space and help lead fundamental changes in the industry.
In this role, you will take overall responsibility for growing and leading software development teams that are responsible for critical components of QuickSight. You will develop the design, implementation, testing and deployment of these critical services. You will draw from your deep and broad technical and management expertise to mentor senior engineers and managers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues, design tradeoffs, and feature and schedule prioritization. This is one of our most strategic technical projects with a long-term vision and an opportunity to deliver both significant business and industry-wide technical impact. As an engineering leader within Database Services, you will also work with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements, influence our technical and business strategy, help hire talented engineers and managers, and conceive innovative new solutions for our customers.
This position within the Database Services team represents a unusual opportunity to shape the technology and future of a rapidly evolving industry and business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, and have strong business acumen and judgment, the ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, the ability to hire and lead a team, the desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact. As with all Amazon positions, you will also be deeply customer-centric.
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• 10+ years in developing software
• 5+ years in engineering people management position
• Demonstrated experience in Java and/or client-side technologies such as React JS and be familiar with software development under UNIX/Linux.
• Candidates must have a strong computer science background.
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering with ideally 15+ years of relevant software development and engineering management experience
• Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
• A leadership position in a team delivering remarkable user experiences in industry leading products
• Work experience delivering one or more version one products, ideally in a startup setting
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top