The AWS Commerce Platform provides the back and front-end services that enable AWS customers to purchase AWS services and understand and manage their infrastructure costs. Our teams tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges the world. We process trillions of events per month using stream processing techniques (Kinesis), process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Aurora). We process big data and provide tools for customers to interactively understand their bills. We also provide the analytics that let customers manage billions of dollars of IT usage and spending. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we also work closely across all AWS teams to ensure that we offer a great customer experience. Help shape the future of AWS Commerce Platform.
The Senior Development Manager will lead teams of Software Development managers, developers, System Developers, and Support Engineers.
The teams, which are based in two geographical locations (Seattle and Berlin Germany) build innovative cross-domain solutions to improve our ability to operate all of the Commerce Platform Services globally. A platform for the platform team, offering new storage solution allowing us to version data at scale in a cost effective manner. They are also working on offering a new uber-orchestration, allowing various teams to own their subworkflow while integrating with end-to-end service such as BillRun Orchestration. The team also owns developing and instrumenting a domain specific telemetry solution, giving us baseline measurements on how our services are performing. We are an innovation hub, prototyping and building solutions to allow AWS to continue to thrive in Commercial regions as well as isolated regions, regardless of the data isolation requirements of government agencies or other government regulations around the world.
In this highly visible role, you will be the business owner, working with your peers and senior management, driving projects that will enable Commerce Platform to launch new products quicker, simpler, and more easily in multiple regions.
This role requires ownership, autonomy, and an ability to deliver results. You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you partner with Product Management to plan, design, and deliver game changing experiences for customers.
You will become intimate with the architecture of our systems and be responsible for diving deep into code, while developing solutions for our customers and services.
You'll drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design & scaling requirements in support of the wider organization
What You'll Do
• Effectively mentor and manage teams of software developers including their projects and performance,
• Effectively mentor and manage teams of systems developers, systems engineers, and support engineers, and guide them through prioritizing projects to offer our customers the best possible experience,
• Effectively partner with most CP service teams to ensure high velocity and upmost reliability of their services,
• Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
• Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
• Distil and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
• Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters or PhD preferred.
• At least 10 years of experience managing software engineering teams
• Experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, Python or other object oriented programming languages
• Strong understanding of distributed computing and software development and design best practices
• Hands on experience with professional software engineering and DevOps practices, including best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
• Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Hands on experience building web platforms and services
• Experience with finance, accounting, procurement, payment methods or payment processing
• U.S. citizen that has a clearance, or can obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us