Amazon Athena is an interactive query service that makes it easy to analyze data directly in Amazon S3 using standard SQL. Athena creates a server-less experience for customers, so there is no infrastructure for them to set up or manage. Athena scales automaticallyexecuting queries in parallelso results are fast, even with large datasets and complex queries. Creating such a simple, performant experience for customers on the front-end opens up challenging engineering problems to solve on the back-end, and that's where you come in. If you are passionate about learning and solving challenging problems in the big data and cloud computing space, growing and developing teams, and have a track record of delivering high-quality technology products in a hyper-growth environment, this role could be exactly what you are looking for.
Athena is growing fast, and we are looking for a Senior SDM who can lead Athena's data plane and engine teams to the next evolution of the service. We have big technical challenges ahead of us that will grow the service and change the way the industry thinks about Big Data analytics. The leader we are looking for brings their experience of building, managing, focusing, and mentoring engineering teams to deliver fast results.
You will continue to grow your technical leadership skills in this role as you:
• Be advised and mentored by some of the strongest technical leadership in the industry
• Actively participate in hiring talented people to continue to grow and expand the broader Athena group
• Actively develop the careers of the managers and individual contributors on your team
• Work directly with senior and principal engineers to define the architectural roadmap of Athena and dependent services
• Oversee the design process, implementation schedule, and delivery to customers in a fast-paced environment
• Work closely with senior leadership to develop the long-term business strategy and feature roadmap
• Bring a deep understanding of software development methodologies to the team
• Demonstrate your ability to manage a service with high availability while continuously developing the skills to grow and succeed as a service team leader that maintains AWS's high standards for operational excellence
• Contribute to Amazon's intellectual property through patents and/or external publications
If this sounds interesting to you, apply now and learn more.
• Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience
• 10+ years' experience developing a complex software product
• 8+ years' experience in software engineering management
• 3+ years' experience in managing managers (Leader of leaders)
• Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
• Experience building and operating distributed systems or big data applications at large scale
• Experience delivering performance optimization features; particularly query optimization experience is a huge plus
• Experience with database systems internals and query execution
• Experience working with open source software such as Presto, Spark, or Hive
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age